Crack in the Fiberglass Front Cap

dennis k

Our Model 3400RL 2007 5th wheel #5289 has a crack in the left front corner of the cap. Dealer has been trying to get the factory to repair or replace to no avail. I feel cap should be replaced because if just fixed, will show discoloration in 2 or 3 years if it does not crack again. Problem needs addressed not just patched. Have had at dealer for 30 days waiting for answers. What is next step (attorney?)?

Forrest Fetherolf

dennis k,

Take photos, keep records, and contact Coley Brady, Scott Tuttle, Jim Fenner or Chris DeLa Paz @ Heartland. They all have responded very quickly to my issues and got them resolved.

Forrest

ChopperBill

Mine had this "crack"
188424002.jpg

And I discovered it had been "repaired" with cheap fast dry body filler. I took it to get repaired and it was found out that who ever cut the sheet of side panel went to far with the saw, thus the quick repair. Had it fixed like it should have been and it looks pretty good. I would bet my next pay check that the factory ain't going to replace the whole front cap any more than they would replace the complete side panel on mine.

nhunter

I put a hole in my back cap and had it repaired by a compotent repair person and I can't even find it anymore. Key word being compotent. You can't just use an over the counter "do it yourself" kit. If done properly it will not yellow as it is a gel coat. Cost me $150 and also repaired my wounded pride at the same time. Your dealer should have a fiberglass "guy" that they use or can recommend.

jpmorgan37

I had a good sized tear on my previous fifth wheel repaired and you couldn't see it. I took it to a shop that specialized in corvette repairs. It never yellowed and no one could see the repair. As nhunter said, competent. Fiberglass will crack and craze. It can also be repaired and will last when done correctly. Talk to Heartland as Forrest suggested. They won't leave you hanging.

Scott

DennisK - The front and rear fiberglass caps are actually the easiest to repair, because we can use the same exact fiberglass materials that are used to form the cap. I can only assume the delay is from a demand to have the entire cap replaced. Let your dealer and Heartland repair it and get you back out on the road to use your coach. Like you have heard from other owners, a good fiberglass repair is done with the right materials, which make it a part of the current fibrerglass structure and you will not see it again.
ST

thall1226

I have a problem with the front cap bottom left corner that I am trying to get repaired with the dealer but I have also had no response. The dealer is still waiting on word from Manufacturer.

jbeletti

thall1226,

So the factory can best respond to your comment, please Reply with:

1. Last 8 digits of your VIN
2. Dealer business name/city/state
3. Date dealer inspected trailer
4. Date dealer last told you they were waiting on input from Heartland

Thanks for taking the time to provide this data. Doing so will ensure a quicker and more helpful response.

Thanks,

Jim

thall1226

Dealer notified me today that they need to have the trailer taken to a body shop to get an estimate on the repairs. Hopefully this will be resolved very shortly. Thank you for getting back to me so rapidly. I am wondering if this is maybe something that needs to be looked at more closely as I see someone else with the same problem. Is it maybe a flaw in the way the front cap is made or put on the trailer? My dealer has been very good about getting things fixed and hopefully it will all be over soon.
Thanks.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I just had a crack in the side wall of the slide fixed. Easy done and I cannot see where it was done.
Rand

dennis k

The dealer sent trailer out for repairs and it did look great for about 2 months now it has cracked again in the same place !! I called my dealer back and am waiting for reply. 2007 3400rl 7E005289 inservice 8/31/06 now where is the warrenty ?