Fixing The Shower Door Drain Problem!

J

Jeff

Hello Folks:

This is a fix for the Landmark Shower Door. This may not apply to the BIG HORN since that shower door is different.

The Landmark shower door tends to allow alot of water to run onto the floor after you are finished showering and then open the door.

The FIX: (This was suggested by Scott Tuttle) Drill several holes in the bottom channel to allow the water to drain back into the shower itself, before you open the door. This way when you do open the door, you will only have a few drips of water to wipe up vs. a bunch of water.

You will need to take at least a 1/4" drill, (I used a 11/32 bit)

Drill several holes along the inside of the channel. The material is aluminum, so it should be easy to drill through.

Use a Dremel Tool or File to file off the rough aluminum underneath the channel.

Clean up the metal flakes and you are finished.

Total working time, about 20 minutes.

After I was finished, I tested the shower from inside and it worked just fine. Running a steady stream of water down the glass door, the water went into the channel and back into the shower. Upon opening the door, there was only a few drips of water on the floor.

The Factory needs to take note of this problem and correct it there, before sending these units out to customers.

The attached pictures should help you see the problem and the appropriate fix.

1.) Door Before Drilling

2.) Inside Channel

3.) Inside Channel After Drilling

4.) Outside Shot showing appearance

5.) A wider outside shot showing the appearance of fix.

Hope this helps all the Landmark Owners with this problem.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the suggestion. When we were up in Elkhart a few weeks ago Scott suggested the same thing. However, I have a little problem with this "fix." I know I can do it (drill the holes) but I think the best method would be some adjustment of the door to make it drain like my old HR. When I tried to adjust the door it made the magnet misaligned and the door no longer closed properly. It appears to me that the door manufacturer would have a solution.

Dave

slaytop

Jeff,
Since the photos are no longer attached, did you drill the holes straight down through the channel to drain the water out?

Thanks.

Wild Wind

The problem with the shower door leaking on the floor in the BigHorn (maybe the Landmark also) is that the gutter Strip a the bottom of the door is about 3/4" to short at the hinge side. When the door opens the water runs runs on the floor. Look at your shower door at home and the gutter is the lenght of the door inside the stops. I am in the Remodeling Business and specialize in custom baths/showers.
I have been round and round with Heartland's service department about the shower door leaking on the floor. I was told by Randy & David that, "that is the way the doors come to factory and that we will not change, therefore stuff cookies".
Therefore, I went to my glass shop and got a new gutter strip and installed it, no more wet floor.
Sometimes a little common sence goes a long way, we should not have to come up with our own solutions to such simple things!!!!!
Jeff I hate to bust your bubble, but the gutter strip should not have any holes in it, but you seem to be the only other person that reconizes the shower door problem.
What will it take for Heartland to have the shower doors built right?
I guess there is just too many other fires to put out.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Had the same issue with my shower door. Also, had to fix the adjustment of the door so it would close without hitting the frame. Took care of this before the second trip out. Some quality time with the camper. :)

Tom of Ypsi

Clarence, Jeff was not the only one with this problem. There were other posts of this problem, mine included, but I believe they were deleted because of a riff with Heartland and a few other reasons that only Jim really knows about.
Now back to the real problem, can you get a gutter strip at Lowe's or HD? Where is your shop? Since I am close to you I may just stop in. I would definetly like to stop in and see your BH some day when it is convient for you.