springs

I'm having a problem with my bighorn 07/3400rl, with the springs lossing there arch. I called lippert to find out what i could do to fix them and brent explained to me that it was the bad roads up in the north east, something about static vs dynamic loading. bottom line the springs lost there arch and were lowering the coach, causing the front to lift and the rear to drop placing more load on the rear axel. I'm going to replace my 3000# springs with 3500# springs which should take care of the problem for a while, because i know that these states will never fix the roads..
we all might check our springs once in a while if we drive on some of these really bad roads...

ct0218

In my case I had a straight spring but it was caused by Lippert using the wrong or no template for the spring hanger or bracket welding. They were placed too far apart, flattened out the spring, and put the tires very close together. Just a thought...

Pulltab

Personally I think that is a load of CRAP! So I suppose if the frame snaps in two that is your fault for living in Alaska, so what is next "this warranty applies except when there is a claim!' I wouldn't take that for an answer. My last trailer they installed the axles so crooked it dog tailed 12" out over 40'. They brought a crew and equipment from Goshen to Piqua Ohio to fix on the spot. Sounds more like a defective set of manufactured springs. Everyone better be keeping an eye on this one. I am waiting to move mine to a flat floor because right now it sits about 2" high on the passenger side and it is brand new. I suppose I will be told it's my fault for driving on Ohio roads! :rolleyes:

jpmorgan37

retiredalaskan;
You said that you contacted Lippert. Did you contact Heartland? I assume from your post that Lippert is supplying you with the 3500 pound springs. If this is not the case, I recommend that you contact Heartland and discuss the situation with them. I know that they will work with you to get the problem corrected.

John

Pulltab

JP is right, if it is still under warranty contact Heartland. That should be the first step. Jumping over them and going direct to Lippert without being to told so won't help you any.;)

Pulltab

It's nice to see the factory step in and get it done for you. That's a gold star for them in my book. Hope I never need their help but it is a comfort to know I can rely on them.:)

Handy

A Florida camper
springs replaced

I posted last week asking if anyone was having spring troubles and didn't get anyone having troubles. Now I see that retiredalaskan is having the same troubles I am having. The springs on the street side lost there arch and put the tires 2" apart . The other side was 3.5" apart and got me to looking at the springs. I have a Bighorne 2955 and the back spring was flat out. When I got the RV both Mor/ryde springs was broken and had to be replaced. Now I have had to replace two street side springs. I think something happened on the way down from the factory. I would think if the bad roads up in the north east is the troubles then me going to rally may do the other side in. Maybe those china made springs are just weak?

zsa-zsa

sundance kid
I"am having same problem,on my o7 29 rk sundance, my street side rear axel spring broke. My repair shop showed me where the spring had been broke for quite a while, the spring was rusting where it broke over top axel. lippert only wants to pay 120 dollars in labor cost to replace axel and springs,Big joke My repair shop thinks the spings maybe defective metal. Also the propane gas line runs right along frame where u bolts anchor spring and axel. If you travel down road with gas on , and that axel breaks and comes tearing out from underneath, could be sia nara for you..... HOPE IAM NOT GOING TO HAVE A PROBLEM LIPPERT...I "am wanting heaver springs put on,, and also Gas shocks.. I"am thankful that I noticed the trailer was leaning to one side, or i may not be here right now .....So everyone please inspect those axels ,the life you might save might be your own..

Pulltab

Well, I got mine on level cement yesterday and I also have flat springs on the drivers side. The trailer sits about an inch lower on that side and just looking at the springs you can tell they are stressed. Don't know if it is from the slides being on that side adding that much weight but it sure makes it a PITA to level. Will notify dealer and see what they say.

Forrest Fetherolf

zsa-zsa,

Post your problem on (ATF) "Ask The Factory", Scott Tuttle @ Heartland can help to do what is right. Scott monitors ATF and is very good to respond.
Lippert supplys frames to Heartland and sometimes axles. Heartland welds the spring hangers on and installs "whose ever" axle and springs that are available at the time. To me, this gives you another option to see who is responsible to make the repair. There should be a tag attached to the axle or a wrist band to identify the axle.

Forrest