Winter travel

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
If it's below 32 degrees, theoretically yes, they can freeze.
I have heard of folks traveling with their thermostat set to heat the underbelly before it gets down to freezing. I don't know how safe it is, however.
You would have to make sure all vents were clear with the slides in.
Your LM should be insulated well enough to withstand short term exposure to freezing temps. IMHO

Last edited:

rick_debbie_gallant

And here I always understood that moving water did not freeze! I mean really! Have you ever witnessed a fast moving stream that would not freeze? I would think that moving at 55 or 60 miles per hour would be fast moving!:confused:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
And here I always understood that moving water did not freeze! I mean really! Have you ever witnessed a fast moving stream that would not freeze? I would think that moving at 55 or 60 miles per hour would be fast moving!:confused:

Excellent point! :)

caissiel

If your unit is winterized its a none event.

We usualy leave the unit winterized and have water jugs for the water requirements while traveling. Use one in the toilet for flushing. Showers are out of the question for a while until we get far enough south, when we fill and start using the 12v pump.

The furnace will run very well on the road but while idling the truck at the rest areas we are able to keep the unit coasy enough. These furnaces will kill a battery in no time so we try to just operate it when needed. It realy takes a long time to cool the unit down. We have sleeped in it at 0 deg F many time and were very comfortible. Just use many blankets and we never experienced any freezing inside, the only line to weary about is the low point drain and that to never froze on us at around 27F with full load of water.

We have installed a digital thermostat and these will kill the batteries due to starting and stoping the furnace fan often at 1deg difference. We usualy operate the furnace off and on manualy when on the batteries.

danemayer

I've towed our Rushmore in January and February in Colorado - temps in the mid-teens in the morning, but warming up to low/mid-thirties by mid afternoon. I have the furnace and tank heating pads on until we unplug shore power, and on again as soon as we hook up in the afternoon. Gray and black tanks were empty. Fresh water 1/2 tank or less. Did not evacuate washing machine line or other water lines, except for the refrigerator water supply which was evacuated and shut off in the basement prior to winter. Got stuck on the roadside for 2 hours one morning with a TV problem with temps in the mid-teens. The residual heat in the RV kept lines/tank from freezing.

Of course I might have just been lucky.

Wharton

We travel in the winter all the time. We have not had any problems with the tanks nor with the water lines however we have added light bulbs(incandescent) to the bottom of the trailer, under the lavatory and under the kitchen sink and a switch in the coach to turn them on. When we are in cold weather we turn the light bulbs on and they throw enough heat to protect everything.

Delaine and Lindy

Can't answer you question we never are in cold weather. I advice is leave early. We normally leave around 1st of Nov. but this year we left early to spend time with the kids and grandkids in Panama City. We are now at our winter in Sebring, Florida and will be here until April 2012.... Happy Trails.....