Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ATF: Bighorn - Suspension upgrade?

1. Print this Post   #1

ATF: Bighorn - Suspension upgrade?

I have a 2007 BH 3055RL and at that time they didn't have shocks. I have had a couple of spring failure incidents that have me thinking about a suspension upgrade to 7000 lb axles with shocks and the newer brakes. I would like to know if this is possible with the frame I have without having to be engineered. Thank you.
    Brad

2. Print this Post   #2
    Icantre Member

Re: ATF: Bighorn - Suspension upgrade?

No engineering calculations required. Any competent service facility can do the job.
    Bob & Joyce Krull
    Forest Grove, OR
    2009 Bighorn 3385

3. Print this Post   #3
    karykatz

bradforx,

All of this can be changed with some minor frame modifications. You will have to have the Shock mounts added and the spring spacing may need changed.

I hope this helps.

4. Print this Post   #4
    Doug S

bradforx,
    I am by far not an expert on suspension, but while I was having axle work done at different locations, I was told the shocks really did not do much on an RV, especially at the angle they are on. I would do more research about shocks on RV's before I invested in them. With that said, my model has them on the unit.
    DougS

2016 BigHorn 3160 EL - full body paint
    Prior RV: 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon - full body paint - Xantrex PROwatt SW 2,000 w inverter - 2-2,000 Honda Gen. - Winguard Carry Sat.
    2012 F350, 4X4, Diesel 6.7, TransferFlow 37 gallon for Pace Edwards cover.

5. Print this Post   #5
    Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders TravelTiger's Avatar

bradforx,

We upgraded from Lippert 6K to Dexter 7K axles/brakes/springs, and upgraded to a beefier version of the EquaFlex Trail-air suspension. The repair shop did have some issues finding the correct axle dimensions, but overall we are very happy with the end result. We upgraded because our springs were flattening, one axle was possibly bent, and the suspension "was not quite right" in the words of the repair shop. We do not know for sure what caused all this (could be a number of reasons), but I consider our use of the trailer, "normal use". After the upgrade, the peace of mind is priceless!

E
    Erika Dorsey
    Founding
    Texas - West Chapter Leader
    Erika & Tony with two traveling cats, Mambo and Tango
    2016 Big Country 4010RD
    2010 ElkRidge 34QSRL (gone)
    2008 NorthTrail 21FBS (gone)
    2016 GMC Sierra SLT 3500 crew cab, long bed, DRW, 4X4
    B&W Companion 20K hitch, Reese 5th Airborne Pin Box, 507 TST, Torklift Glowstep Revolution Steps,
    MorRyde SRE4000, Winegard Trav'ler, Furrion High-Speed Observation Camera, SmartPlug 50amp Connector
    Visit our blog at http://mammothtravels.blogspot.com/
    HOC #1733

6. Print this Post   #6

There was a post earlier today wanting to sell 7K axles and large brakes. 2k-4k light weight springs such as on your coach are all 26 inches eye to eye so they are interchangable.
    2009 Augusta
    2011 F350 6.7 CC KR SRW LB

7. Print this Post   #7

HERE is a link to the axles and suspension that Lwmcguir is talking about.
    You may have to use some parts of your existing setup. The problem may come into play with the Equiflex from Lippert. I think your 07 has Dexter parts. A little measuring will tell.

Peace
    Dave
    Dave and Mary
    and C. J.
    2011 Bighorn 3585RL

2013 RAM 3500, CC, DRW, Aisin
    Heartland Owners Club
    Member #1026

Owners Club Membership is now free! Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

8. Print this Post   #8

You might be interested in these improved equalizers with about 4 inches of vertical travel. A lot less expensive than the MorRyde IS or Trailaire Centerpoint systems. Here is the link (watch the video) :
    http://www.morryde.com/aftermarket/s...system-38.html
    Bill Knight KJ6TBE
    Retired 40 Year Hospital Biomedical Electronics Technician
    Former State Chairman (2000) California Medical Instrumentation Association (CMIA)
    2008 Bighorn 3670RL
    My Bighorn Upgrades
    See:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

2004 Dodge RAM 3500 Cummins 5.9
    B-D Exhaust Brake
    Ride Rite Air Bags
    Valvoline 15-40 High Mileage Diesel Oil
    XDP Diesel Power Plus Fuel Additive

At a Thousand Trails in Southern California

21 Heartland Rallies I Have Attended
    See: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_PRxlhCp1l7IXgiVIBJmCtX3viJ9NaykR8_b81W9CVU/edit?usp=sharing

Thousand Trails Elite Membership

Support this Forum! Join the Heartland Owners Club at the "Owners Club" Tab at the top of this Page!!!
    Remember The USS Liberty . . . Read: http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/margolis12.html
    "The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth"

9. Print this Post   #9

Bradforx, are you trying to prevent spring failure in the future or dampen the jarring the trailer is taking traveling down the road? Shocks or dampers are designed to control the rate of travel of the springs; they are not designed as extra support for the springs. I would first investigate why the springs failed prior to installing shocks because if the springs are failing because of poor quality springs, mounts, design or overloading adding shocks will do nothing to resolve those possible problems.

Think of it this way, I know you have seen an older car going down the road with one tire bouncing as the car drives down the road. That's what rubber tires do when they are suppended from the car on springs with bad/failed shocks. No dampening, just lots of boing. The car is still held above the road by the spring but as the tire hits cracks and bumps in the road it starts it bouncing which will not stop until the brakes are applied shifting weight to that tire (front). Because the tires are not being forced/dampened down against the road, grip/traction is lowered and stopping distances are increased without locking the brakes. Trailer shocks will mostly remove the bounce of the trailer and not the tires/axles.
    John & Rana
    Kato & Alley

2004 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A CC LB Dually - Curt Q5 20K w/BedSaver - Banks EconoMind-SpeedBrake-Banks IQ - MorRyde Pin Box

"Leisure time is when your wife can't find you" Anonymous

My Blog http://maxisadvent.blogspot.com/

10. Print this Post   #10

My thought is that if the tires are bouncing that means the springs are getting quite a workout in addition to the tires.It seems shocks are designed to dampen the spring return so that should make it easier on everything. The last spring failure I had was due to twin potholes in Antigonish, Nova Scotia. It seems that the locals even had names for them. I don't know if fatigue had played a major part or not. I was thinking heavier springs would have helped since the trucks kept rolling through. Thanks for your reply. Brad
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Bradforx, are you trying to prevent spring failure in the future or dampen the jarring the trailer is taking traveling down the road? Shocks or dampers are designed to control the rate of travel of the springs; they are not designed as extra support for the springs. I would first investigate why the springs failed prior to installing shocks because if the springs are failing because of poor quality springs, mounts, design or overloading adding shocks will do nothing to resolve those possible problems.

Think of it this way, I know you have seen an older car going down the road with one tire bouncing as the car drives down the road. That's what rubber tires do when they are suppended from the car on springs with bad/failed shocks. No dampening, just lots of boing. The car is still held above the road by the spring but as the tire hits cracks and bumps in the road it starts it bouncing which will not stop until the brakes are applied shifting weight to that tire (front). Because the tires are not being forced/dampened down against the road, grip/traction is lowered and stopping distances are increased without locking the brakes. Trailer shocks will mostly remove the bounce of the trailer and not the tires/axles.
    Brad & Lisa, Pixie & Twinkle (the rest of the pack)
    Eugene, OR
    07 Bighorn 3055RL, Dexter AirFlex with disc brakes, Tri-Glide Pinbox,
    07 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew 4x4 D/A, Super Springs, Banks Brake, 30gal Transfer Flow aux fuel tank/toolbox, Tire Minder TPMS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast