Flexing chassis?

hotonpi

I have noticed some pretty severe damage to a cabinet door and to the closet frame in the bedroom of my 2011 Cyclone 3950 HD Edition. The camper has only been to two campgrounds and nothing unusual happened as far as bumps, rough roads or anything of the sort during transit. What is going on?? It's almost like there's been frame flexing or something to cause such separations. Add to this the fact that the living room slides (both) do not close completely (as others have mentioned in another thread, they typically stick out on the bottom by about 3/4" when fully retracted).

044.jpg050.jpg

Attachments

• 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 45

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
hotonpi,
I would call or e-mail HL customer service in the morning with your vin number. The info is on the portal page.
They will probably direct you to a service center for repairs.
Don't panic, the slide issue may have nothing to do with this cabinet problem. Slides being a little out of adjustment is not that unusual. Easily corrected.
HL customer service is the best in the industry. They will get it corrected if your rig is still under warranty. Good luck, Trace

Last edited:

gpshemi

I'm not sure how a frame flexing would effect a side molding on a cabinet door unless it's glued and screwed in a fixed position. Have you considered the himidity level in the coach? We bought a dehumidifer for oir Cyclone. It's unreal how mich water we get in 24hrs. I have read it's hard on a unit, but I never realized how much. It makes the coach more comfortable to ne in actually too.

Might not be an issue for you, but it's something to consider.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I do not think that your door problem is caused by any frame flexing. If you did have frame flexing then you would see evidence of that in the frame of the cabinets that are attached to the walls. There is surely something else going on with that particular door. Maybe it is coming open during travel?

Good luck,
Mark

RollingHome

hotonpi, I have been told when frame flexing occurs small cracks above the windows are telltale signs too. This is because of little surface area to give strenght and cracks appear. I have not experienced this and I do not know if this is gospel. Just the same I would look over windows where the wall has a small surface area very, very closely. If you see cracks what I heard may be true. In fact, I would look intensely at any small wall surface areas because what I heard does seem to be logical. I sincerely hope you do not have frame flexing, I wish you well my friend.

hotonpi

Many thanks all - I won't be able to do any close inspections now until Spring as my camper is tucked away inside for the Winter. Our local county fairgrounds takes RV's inside their ag buildings for winter storage. It's a small fee but once your RV is stored, it is not accessible until Spring.

I'm pretty sure it's not humidity causing these problems, as I always have 2 or 3 "Damp-Rid" bags going inside the RV. Now, I am starting to think it isn't frame flexing because the cabinet door that split is the center cabinet on the dinette slideout. If the frame was flexing, I don't think it would also flex a fully retracted slideout.

As far as the sagging closet frame - maybe that's just shoddy workmanship and the screws pulled out of the support brace?

The mystery continues...

rebootsemi

Many thanks all - I won't be able to do any close inspections now until Spring as my camper is tucked away inside for the Winter. Our local county fairgrounds takes RV's inside their ag buildings for winter storage. It's a small fee but once your RV is stored, it is not accessible until Spring.

I'm pretty sure it's not humidity causing these problems, as I always have 2 or 3 "Damp-Rid" bags going inside the RV. Now, I am starting to think it isn't frame flexing because the cabinet door that split is the center cabinet on the dinette slideout. If the frame was flexing, I don't think it would also flex a fully retracted slideout.

As far as the sagging closet frame - maybe that's just shoddy workmanship and the screws pulled out of the support brace?

The mystery continues...

Think maybe you hit the nail with "shoddy workmanship", but that still would not break the cabinet door.

gpshemi

Damp-Rid is a good start but can't keep up when people are occupying it.

Last edited:

Delaine and Lindy

We have used Damp Rid in every 5th wheel we have owned. You will be surprised with how much water/moisture is pulled from the areas you put the Damp Rid in. And again good Luck with the frame issue or what ever the issue is..... Happy Trails.....

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I believe it is frame flex, have seen several Montana's with the frame flex. Good Luck. Happy Trails...

FWIW, I think you referred to the "M" word. That is one reason we passed on the "M" and bought a Heartland Bighorn.
Two different animals, IMHO.

Trace

BarneyFife

The workmanship on our 370C is terrible, in my opinion. We have one more race to attend next week and then its back to the dealership for a THIRD time.

Besides the ongoing saga over our worthless brakes, several interior fixes are needed. The trimwork around the living room door is coming out in countless places. The door jamb between the garage and living area is almost completely ruined. It won't even stop the door when shutting. You have to be careful not to pull it all the way through. "Wallpaper" in the living room is coming off in several places as well.

I know every unit may have an issue or two but for a $55,000 camper, you'd think it would do better after five months of ownership.

porthole

Retired
Your door looks like the center "raised" panel might have been a bit too big.
It expanded and pushed the stile out. Stiles are the the side pieces of the door frame, rails are the the top and bottom.