Microwave- High Pointe (OEM) to Sharp R820BK

DW_Gray

I've encountered a problem. See next post.

Our High Pointe stopped working so the search was on for an upgrade to a convection microwave. We visited a local RV Center and we were promptly told "do not to buy the Apollo." The strong recommendation was GE or Sharp. After reading reviews and shopping around, we order the Sharp R820BK from Best Buy for the amount of $259.99.

Perfect fit! I knew the measurements would be very close and I really expected to trim the wood frame a bit but I didn't have too. I installed the trim kit from the old microwave with only some minor modifications to the lower trim.

As we use our new convection microwave for a few weeks, I'll let you know how well it performs and cooks.

sharpR820BK.jpg

Last edited:

DW_Gray

Well after reading the manual last night and testing the convection oven I fear there may be a potential fire hazard. This oven needs a built-in trim kit (RK-82K) that redirects the hot air. Unfortunately, Sharp has discontinued the kit. Sharp did fax the kit instructions to me. I've searched all over the internet and can't find one.

I'll either have to make my own kit or return the microwave to Best Buy, if they'll take it back after drilling 3 holes in the top.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Well after reading the manual last night and testing the convection oven I fear there may be a potential fire hazard. This oven needs a built-in trim kit (RK-82K) that redirects the hot air. Unfortunately, Sharp has discontinued the kit. Sharp did fax the kit instructions to me. I've searched all over the internet and can't find one.

I'll either have to make my own kit or return the microwave to Best Buy, if they'll take it back after drilling 3 holes in the top.

I would be insistent on the return Dave. If the oven REQUIRES the trim kit to redirect the heat, then it is incumbent upon the manufacture to supply the kit or quit selling the microwave.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I went to Heartland to have some work done. While there I asked them if they had a Convection MW that could be installed at my expense. They installed a High Pointe on /25/20012. While cooking breakfast this morning it went to Microwave heaven. I tried to call their service number 800-334-8251. Got a message that the number was the future number for an 800 info homeline customer, then they hung up.

I saw your post about the Sharp.. Sharp has been a pretty good product in the past. What is the status of the one you bought? Would it be worth buying one without the kit or did you do something different?

BC

evolvingpowercat

I just changed from HighPointe to Sharp in my Edge. It was somewhat involved as the Sharp was wider, taller, and deeper than the OEM microwave so the cabinet has to be modified and the microwave outlet re-located a little bit (at least in my Edge). I have woodworking skills so it was something I was able to accomplish.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/32986-Edge-M21-Microwave-Oven-Upgrade

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Re: Microwave- High Pointe UPDATE:

Well m HIgh Pointe has come back alive. It was dead for almost a full day. When I got back to the trailer yesterday evening it was back on and is still operating.

I guess it has a thermo coupler in the back if it gets hot. I did not remove it from the cabinet to check. I may have to install a fan to remove the heat. It has been installed by Heartland so I guess there is no exaust fan to remove the heat when being used a lot. May have to do something later on.

If you have a High Pointe MW I was given a phone number for information.
Collins & Company 574-848-1118

Maybe this is something that needs to be looked into for future installations.

BC

evolvingpowercat

> Sharp has discontinued the wall kit...

See my post there is a business in Iowa that I got the discontinued wall kit from, they may still have some.