spare tire lift tension

1231ChaseB

When i had the spare tire down the other day, when i raised it back up i didn't know how tight to pull the cable tension up !
Anybody know the proper tightness ???
Thanks
chaseb

BruteForce

When i had the spare tire down the other day, when i raised it back up i didn't know how tight to pull the cable tension up !
Anybody know the proper tightness ???
Thanks
chaseb

I torque to German specifications: Guden Tight. I then follow-up with a cargo strap over the top to ensure it doesn't loosen up.

Willym

When I looked at my spare tyre holder frame when it was down last year, it was slightly bent from what appears to be overtorquing. The steel angle frame is very light and can't take much load. As a result of seeing that, I just snug it up carefully. I've checked it several times and it hasn't loosened. It does not appear to have a slipping clutch.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When I looked at my spare tyre holder frame when it was down last year, it was slightly bent from what appears to be overtorquing. The steel angle frame is very light and can't take much load. As a result of seeing that, I just snug it up carefully. I've checked it several times and it hasn't loosened. It does not appear to have a slipping clutch.

I had the same thing happen to me that happened to Bill. I took the whole system down straightened it out and welded on some heavier anlge iron. It wont bend now.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• carrier 1.jpg
    carrier 1.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 42
  • carrier 2.jpg
    carrier 2.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 39
  • carrier 3.jpg
    carrier 3.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 41

caissiel

Now I am worried.
I have mine relocated in front of the axles and now it also holds the fresh water tank.

57chevyconvt

I also reinforced my spare tire rack because of the extra weight of the GY G614 tire, about 25 lbs. heavier than the original TOW MAX. I also added an extra angle iron on each side of the rack to span the trailer frame. For added security I added a spare tire cable and lock, purchased from Harbor Freight.