Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Size of refrigerator for full timing.

1. Print this Post   #1

Size of refrigerator for full timing.

What size refrigerator is really necessary for full timing? I am getting ready to purchase a Bighorn 3585. I have an option to get the smaller refrigerator with a pull out pantry beside it, or I can get the double door refrigerator without the pantry. I am trying to figure out which would be most beneficial for full timing---the pull out pantry (the skinny one with the wire baskets) or the larger refrigerator. Does anyone have any ideas or preferences?

2. Print this Post   #2
    Senior Member - Past Moderator Ray LeTourneau's Avatar

Re: Size of refrigerator for full timing.

We currently have the NDR1062 2 door 10 cubic foot fridge and the pantry. We would prefer the pantry over the 4 door reefer. We were full time for 4 years. While not as long as some, it has been long enough for us to learn our needs. The pantry is needed for adequate staple food storage and adds a lor of versatility to food storage options.
    Not that they are all bad but a number of the 4 door Dometic reefers have been problematic.
    Ray & Lin
    R.I.P. Suzi
    R.I.P Bart

3. Print this Post   #3
    Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired

We have a Landmark Key Largo and fortunately I have a LARGE pantry area (which was one of my requirements) and the 4 door fridge (also another requirement). I still have a tough time getting all of our food in the freezer portion of it. We could probably do with the smaller refrigerator but not the smaller freezer.

Kelly (& Michael) Barnett

Fulltimers
    HOC #1817
    2011 Landmark Key Largo
    2016 Ford F450 6.7 liter Lariat Platinum

Performance Trailer Braking
    Disc Brake Conversion Kits
    "We'll Get You Down Safely"
    405-626-7009

Follow along on our blog as we live out our full-timing adventure

4. Print this Post   #4

We have the small fridge (9 cu ft?) and the pull-out pantry, and it has worked well for us for 5 years now. Some of your opinion would probably depend on your cooking and shopping habits, but we would make the same decision again, I think.

Since we usually grocery shop about once a week, we do have to consider how much frozen food and fresh produce we can get at one time. The pantry is convenient for boxed, bagged, and canned goods that are frequently used. The lower cupboards are difficult to organize due to drain pipes that run through and odd angles, and you generally have to get down in the floor to see/reach stuff stored in there. The pantry minimizes my flopping around in the floor while cooking dinner.
    Rick and Jan Hansen

2009 Bighorn 3670RL, #1735
    2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT, Crew-Cab 4X4 Duramax, Curt 20K Q5 Hitch

Full-Timers working and RV'ing since Nov-2005

5. Print this Post   #5

If we had to do it over again we would do the smaller fridge and the grocery storage instead of the 4 door fridge.
    Dan & Bonnie
    Heartland Club Member #1294
    Tasha/4Yr. Old Golden Doodle
    Summer Hideout - St. Albans, Vt
    Winter - Palm Harbor, Fl.
    Could be anywhere in between
    2008 Chevrolet 3500 DRW LTZ Diesel
    2010 BigHorn 3580 RL

6. Print this Post   #6

Can I just say that although I am not full-timing, I am living in my Big Horn for 6 weeks....1 week down. Already we said we would get the bigger fridge and pantry should we ever go FT (dream on dieselengineer) because the smaller ones are just too small. My freezer is so full of stuff I had to move from my house, and I've decided when I shop I can only buy for a few days at a time...I just don't have the room to put lots of items and think they would safely stay the temp they need to be. When you pack too tight some of your items may not get cold enough and you run the risk of getting sick....

So for my 2 cents, I vote go bigger.
    Dieselsweetheart
    Cheryl

Owner #1015

Happily married to the Dieselengineer for 11 years.
    11 interesting years.

2009-2011 PA Chapter Leader
    2011-2012 DE Chapter Leader

2009- National Rally, Goshen, IN; PA Rally (chapter leaders)
    2010- NJ rally; PA Rally (chapter leaders, 2nd annual); National Rally, Nashville, TN; NYS rally; VA rally; Hershey RV show, (Coordinator, Owner's table); Not Really a Rally, Rally Pine Grove, PA.
    2011- NJ rally; PA rally (chapter leaders, 3rd annual); North American Rally, Goshen, IN; 5-stater rally, DE; Hershey RV show, (Coordinator, owner's table); Bath, NYS rally.
    2012- DE camp-out April 27-29, VA Rally Virginia Beach, PA rally, NYS rally, Hershey RV show, Inaugural DE rally Oct 6-8th.
    2013- Just Goshen, June.

7. Print this Post   #7

For the past 5 years, the smaller fridge has done us well. We also purchased a Coleman 12/120V cooler which we mainly use for beer, soda, etc.

8. Print this Post   #8
    Senior Member - Past Moderator Ray LeTourneau's Avatar

I guess I should add that we have a small 3 cu.ft. freezer to help with capacity. It only weighs 50# empty. We used to keep it in the closet in the W/D area but now it's back in the LR corner. Doubles as a printer stand.
    Ray & Lin
    R.I.P. Suzi
    R.I.P Bart

9. Print this Post   #9

We have a 2 door RM2862 Refrigerator by Dometic which is 8Cu Ft. We wanted to have more freezer space so we got rid of the table and chairs. Bought a 5cu Ft Sears Upright freezer. Put a cabinet around the freezer which gave us more drawers and a slide out drawer for our portable ice maker.

DSC_4562_800.jpg

BC
    Travel safe & may God bless
    Bob Curry
    2016 F350 CC SRW LB 4WD
    Ruby Red 08 Bighorn 3400RE #9948
    Mor/Ryde 7k IS, 8k DB * 17.5 Rims w/G114 GY Tires
    Bigfoot Auto Leveling
    Escapee 96030 * Fulltime since 10-08-2007
    Club Member # 1081

10. Print this Post   #10
    Past Heartland Ambassador kakampers's Avatar

We have fulltimed for more than 6 years now and have always had the smaller two-door refrigerator. We also have the RM2862 in the Bighorn...I think it's either 9 or 10 cubic feet. We've never had an issue with space...I've learned how to repackage meats, etc., to maximize the space in the freezer, and we do NOT have any auxilliary fridge or freezer. I do like having the full-walled pantry instead of the bigger fridge...works well for us!
    Ken & Kathy - H.O.C. #1077
    '17 GMC 3500HD Denali 4WD DRW Long Bed w/Nav, Sunroof, Curt 24Q, WIFI, Sprayed liner, Deep Ruby Metallic!
    '2013 Landmark Key Largo, Fullbody Paint and virtually every option PLUS Mor Ryde IS and Disc Brakes - Our Dream Coach!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast