Furnace "Booming"

StephenKatSea

Our Suburban furnace on our 2008 BH3670 seems to be providing heat and cycling in a normal fashion. BUT, it periodically makes a low "booming" noise. Have others experienced this and if so what are the recommendations? Thanks, Steve

Crumgater

Could that just be the duct work expanding as it warms up? Our home furnace does that on occasion. It depends on the temperature prior to the furnace kicking on.

Rickhansen

Our furnace burner makes a low "rumble" on occasion for a few seconds at a time. It seems to do it more often when it is cold outside and the furnace has been running for more than a few minutes. I've never have figured out why or what to do about it. Other than my concern, it doesn't seem to pose any problems. I have a suspicion that it has to do with either a drop in the propane system pressure or with condensation/frost forming on the orafice causing the flame to change fuel/air mixture.

If anyone knows the cause, I hope they'll post an explanation and possible corrective measures.

Willym

We get occasional booming or maybe you might describe it as howling. It only seems to occur for a few seconds and it doesn't seem to bother the furnace. I tend to suspect an intermittent gas pressure variation.

noobee

In colder weather (-12 to -15C) we occasionally get what I call a 'screeching'. My understanding is this is due to poor propane flow. My feed is from a 'pig (big exterior tank) with a very long line, so I just turn up the pressure on the tank.
From attached tanks I would use compressed air to clean out the lines from the tanks to the switch over control.

StephenKatSea

"Booming" noise is gone. Tech hooked a manometer to the stove to check propane system pressure. He said correct pressure was 10.5 to 11" water column (about .5 psi). He adjusted the regulator, located at the propane bottles and the problem was solved. Took about five minutes.

jimtoo

Did the tech say if the pressure was to HIGH and causing the problem or to LOW causing the noise?

Jim M

StephenKatSea

Jim - I believe the tech found that too much gas was being provided (excessive pressure) causing the periodic ignition of the additional propane (which created the "booming" after burner type noise). In any case, the regulator at our propane bottles was adjustable. This is an adjustment which should definitely be conducted by a qualified tech, while observing a manometer gauge hooked into the propane system at the stove unit. Some regulators are not adjustable and would require replacing in a similar situation. Good News: Problem Solved, without having to replace costly electronic boards or propane supply hardware. Hope this info helps others and thanks again to all for their input. - Steve

jimtoo

Thanks for the update Steve... And I totally agree with adjustment being made only by a qualified tech. Propane is nothing to fool around with.

Jim M