Dometic RM1350 Fan Noise

57chevyconvt

I recently by-passed the thermo switch located on the condensing coil fins that controls the two small cooling fans so that the fans run continously when the refer is in operation. This was done bases on key learnings from reading many post, not only those on the HL forum. Much to my supprise the fans are very noisy, high pitched sound that is tranmitter into the interior of the RV. Each of the fans have an independent ground wire that is terminated below the control board. I disconnect each of the ground wires, one at a time, to see which fan was making the noise. Both fans make about the same amount of noise. I installed a toggle switch in the ground wire(s) so that I can turn the fans off/on as needed for added air flow on hot days. Seems to me that the method of mounting these small computer power supply fans is such that any and all fan noise is tranmitted into the refer box.

My qestion is: Have others experience this type of fan noise and if so what did you do about silencing the noise?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I bought new fans. Got them at a computer repair shop. They are larger and cost about $10 each. Quiet now.

Peace
Dave

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Go to radio shack or similar, buy some 6" square fans and get the lights on them. They should cost 15-20 bucks each. Run them 24 hours a day and forget about them. With the lights on, you can walk by your rv at night & see the lights on,(lets you know they are both working) mine have been on maybe a year now and still going 24 hours a day for a year. They are quiet, can't hear them inside unless it is late at night and no hwy noise.

KonaCools

Computer fans only last a few years running intermittently at best. It is also best if possible to ad 2 to 3 extra fans, and a big note when replacing your fans make sure you get fans with ball bearing (not sleeved bearings) they will last months not years.
I repair only rv refrigerators and on these large fridges airflow is everything, another good measure is at the same time to replace the thermal fan switch my experience has been that through the years the the longer the switch is in use the original on temp of 130F. will rise I have tested some older units that the temp kicked in at 165F.

Matt Willis

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Thanks for the information. Quite a few folks have added fans to the rear of the fridges and made the mod to create better air flow at the rear of the fridges.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

57chevyconvt

Matt, Thanks for sharing your experience with refer repairs. I don't know if the single Radio Shack 5" fan has sleeve or ball bearings. The tag on the fan said that is rate for 30,000 hours of operation. I have by-passed the thermal switch by adding a 'on/off' switch. Currently I am running the two Dometic installed fan and the Radio Shack fan. I believe I still need more air flow since my RM 1350 IM is vented throught the roof an not in a slide and the performance is still marginal. With this arrangement, I have to remove the refer to do any work on the back side.