Truck for pulling Bighorn 3670RL

Dylan

Hello, new to the site, and we might be purchasing a 2009 3670RL. I'm wondering what people recommend for a truck to pull? Is a Ford F250 enough, F350, etc. GMC.....? Thoughts?..

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Re: Truck for pulling 3670RL

Hi Dylan, welcome to the forum.

See these current running threads for some information.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/27666-Any-Landmark-owners-towing-with-a-3-4-ton

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/27571-F-250-HD-Crew-Cab-Diesel-6.4-beast-of-burden

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

Dylan, Welcome to the forum.

Look here //heartlandowners.org/forumdisplay.php/556-TOW-VEHICLES

lcdrdean

Hi Dylan,
I have a 2010 3670 that I have pulled with both an f250 short bed and an f350 dually long bed. Both trucks were 2007 4X4 crew cabs. Both also had the 6.0 liter engine. Both trucks pulled the trailer just fine, however I prefer the f350 dually. The primary reason is that the whole truck trailer combination feels more stable than the f250 short bed did. For me it's just a matter of feeling, plus the f350 dually has a higher tow rating. That's important to me as we are full timers and our rig weighs in at close to 15,500 pounds, more with water onboard. I had airbags installed on the truck to level out the load. I also like the long bed as we carry a lot of stuff in it, including a spare 30 lb propane tank, a smoker, a barbecue, dog pens, and all our kayaking equipment (the two kayaks are loaded on top of the truck). The major disadvantages to a crew cab dually with an 8 foot bed are that it's big (more like huge), and a dually doesn't do as well in sand and snow as singles rear wheel trucks do. I have only had Ford trucks so I can not advise on other brands. However, I advise against buying any Ford trucks with the 6.0 liter engine (like mine) as they tend to have problems. If my truck hadn't been under warranty, I would have had to spend $3,000 plus to repair the EGR and oil coolers recently (this is a recurring problem with these engines I found out after the fact). Also they don't seem to do as well as the newer Ford trucks going uphill. We had a fellow workamper at our job in Alaska who had a 2011 Ford with the new engine that said he had no problems with pulling uphill and he got better gas mileage than me. I know this has been long winded, but I hope it's been helpful. I am sure that when you read all the threads you will get advice all over the spectrum, so really the answer is what you personally feel comfortable with.

ATLJOHN

Hi Dylan
We have 2011 3670 and pull with chevy 3500 dually. When we where at the Heartland Rally in Goshin this year we had the truck and trailer weighted. My combo weight 22650 with max 23500. So I am happy to be under gross. My trailer weighted 14500 and my gross on the trailer is 16000. I think 2009 model is the same. The new 2012 are only 15500. As I mostly use my truck only to tow with but it is a problem with going shopping to find a space to park Good luck with you new trailer we love this floor plan.

John

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Go to the perimeter parking areas and/or back it in. Much easier. I take mine into parking lots all the time since it's my daily driver/grocery getter/I like to drive a BART/etc. Just takes a little practice (like years of backing USAF crash rigs and fire trucks into tight spots :D).