Generator Question

Maverick

I have a Landmark San Antonio. I am getting ready to purchase a generator. Of course the coach has LP so can I assume the only option is to purchase the model which runs on LP. I have a Diesel truck hauler so it seems like a no brainer that I need an LP model. Gas versions are of course are available but I assume I need a separate gas tank mounted somewhere. How would that work?

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
There are folks who bash the LP version Onan 5500. They say they use too much fuel, for one thing. They do use a little more than gas.
I have been very happy with ours and have had no problems whatsoever. I got it for the reason you stated, propane already on board. Also, they burn cleaner than gas if you are sitting near the exhaust.

Last edited:

branson4020

Icantre Member
I am sooooo glad I opted for a propane generator. I don't use it for long enough periods to find the gas consumption inconvenient, and it always starts right up, even if I haven't exercised it for a couple of months.

Northern Virginia
It really depends on your use. I have a 6500 watt Onan gasoline. I use two marine tanks that fit nicely in the hold next to the generator compartment. There have been a few times that we went dry camping and ran both a/c units all day. I burned through a lot of gas and it was nice to get a refill at the local gas station. If you run out of propane at 7 PM Sunday night, you're hosed. We also dry camp in the mountains where finding propane can be difficult. You can always find a gas station.

I (religiously) use Sta-Bil and haven't had any problem starting in over two years and 150 hours of use. For me, I would have to say the opposite of Bob. I am sooooo glad I have gasoline.:)

John

grizzlygiant

I agree with John. I switched to gasoline for the reasons he stated...and when you run out of propane your refer. your cook stove and your furnace are dead also.

hoefler

I am installing a gen-set this winter also, I chose to go gasoline myself. I have a custom built gas tank that I mount in the truck behind my auxiliary diesel tank. I will use a marine quick connect and a fuel line long enough to reach. I will also carry a 6 gallon marine tank for when we need to go somewhere in the truck.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I agree with Branson4020, I don't run mine for hours on end. Very convenient, clean and neat.

Google "Onan generator problems" and see how many problems are gas vs. the problems with propane.
I haven't looked myself, but after talking with folks, I will bet you will find the propane version has fewer problems.

As far as running out of LP, If I feel I'm going to need it, I carry an extra cylinder. Trace

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
With a diesel truck you could always consider a diesel Genny.
Propane would be the easiest built in option. Although, a gasoline tank from a Cyclone would probably be a bolt in option too.

PUG

Pug
I had an 09 Cyclone 3950 that had the Onan 5500. I had my fair share of troubles with the Onan and religiously exercised it to keep it clean in the carb etc. We didn't do a lot of dry camping and I think that is the real question to answer. The Onan are probably very good and factory installed are really convenient. You have to remember if you have the Heavy Onan it has to be installed very carefully for cooling and exhaust emmisions. Otherwise a sealed enclosure properly vented and with the exhaust properly moved to the outside of the coach.

The Onans are expensive, very expensive. I recently sold the Cyclone and purchased another brand that is not a toy hauler. I opted to pull a small trl behind the new fifth wheel to carry my toys and have more lving area. As we occasionally do dry camp, I still wanted the availability of AC power. I looked and looked and compared products. The Honda and Yamaha are two of the very best but still quite expensive. I ended up purchasing a Champion 3500/4000 watt from Cabelas. It has clean power, very good reputation, and one heck of a lot less money. Where it is portable I can pick it up and move it to where I need power. Is it as handy as the built in Onan, no. Is it as good of quality as the Onan, no. Do I feel like I have to use it all the time to justify the cost? No. Does it work for me? Yes. I can pick it up (100 lbs) and with the wheel kit I can move it to where I want it. I can run one AC unit and the microwave or about any combination of appliances. http://www.championpowerequipment.com/products/recreational/. Works for me but probably not everyone.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
i have a landmark san antonio. I am getting ready to purchase a generator. Of course the coach has lp so can i assume the only option is to purchase the model which runs on lp. I have a diesel truck hauler so it seems like a no brainer that i need an lp model. Gas versions are of course are available but i assume i need a separate gas tank mounted somewhere. How would that work?
1. You have several options, lp, diesel or gasoline.
2. I have had several honda's and no onan's. I understand the onan's are expensive. Honda's should be cheaper and also i would think as quiet or quieter. Check the decibel ratings on each model to see how quiet they really are. My honda's are around 58-59 decibels and work and start very easy.
3. Mine are portable and i carry them in the back of my truck. I am now using 2 3000 watt hondas. They have a wiring kit so you can plug in and get 50 amps of power to run your rig if you need 50 amps. I can still pick them up and move them by myself. They have wheels to roll around and i set them away from my rv at night. If you look in the back of the trailer life magazine, they have a fuel kit you can buy so you can keep a large marine tank gassed up so the gen. Will run all night and they siphone to feed both generators.
4. Also discount honda dealers in the back of trailer life too.
5. Good luck. Keep reading and getting info from here and other sites. Kenny