Springs on the Bighorn

Pulltab

What is the deal with the springs? On my unit much like others have posted mine sits about an inch lower on the driver side. When looking under the coach you can see the springs are nearly flat. What is my next step?

Looking for an answer from the factory on this guys. Thanks.

tcbrady

The 2925RK has slide rooms on one side only. Thus having an unbalanced load with the rooms deployed, with the rooms retracted the load shifts toward the center.

Hope this helps!

Pulltab

Coley, thanks for the reply. I realize the slides are on one side but the difference is when the slides are in and the trailer is ready to pull. If the weight is so unbalanced in that condition would it not have been important to compensate for that difference with the springs? So now even on perfectly level ground I still have to pull trailer up on boards on the driver side. That doesn't seem right to me. Our Quantum had 5 slides and it was well balanced.

Forrest Fetherolf

pulltab,

Best way to determine a spring problem or load distribution would be to weigh the each side. If the load is evenly distributed, it is a spring problem, if not then a load problem.

Forrest

ChopperBill

It may not be relevant, but my pick up is almost an inch higher on one side than the other. Guessing its not a perfect world. :(

rdctx13

Mor-Ryde and Springs

I have had my rig since Feb. 27, 2007 it is a 3500 Big Horn, I had a level installed when I bought. The trailer was level until recently. I have slides on both sides and when slide are in I noticed springs on drivers side (off door) are straight out. But more than this I inspected my spare and as I began to make my way out I notice (door side) springs where they mount on fame had move out off the main spring about an inch. As I looked closer I noticed that the nut was missing holding that spring in mount. The mount had been spread opened. I used a c-clamp and closed gap bought a nut installed it and headed for the nearest Heartland repair shop that is 60 miles from where I stay. I am a full timer and so Tuesday morning I was at Southwest RV (Camping World) to see about getting this safety hazard fixed. My rig is about 3 inches lower on off door side. I checked the springs on the Mor-Ryde to see if they continued to move and in less than 10 miles they were off about 1 inch. They are about 1.5 inches off when I arrived at Southwest. I have an appointment to install another A/C on Friday I was hoping they could fix my springs while I am here. I am living on lot waiting for them to work on springs. I called Jim,service manager at Heartland and told him my problem and he was to get with service here at Southwest. While staying on the lot I noticed two used Big Horns across the street so I walked over and looked under them, the 3600 had the same problem that I had the upper springs were moving off the main spring about .75 inch. This must be a big problem and could cause some very serious accidents somebody had better get this problem fixed and in a hurry.

Pulltab

Pulltab said:
Coley, thanks for the reply. I realize the slides are on one side but the difference is when the slides are in and the trailer is ready to pull. If the weight is so unbalanced in that condition would it not have been important to compensate for that difference with the springs? So now even on perfectly level ground I still have to pull trailer up on boards on the driver side. That doesn't seem right to me. Our Quantum had 5 slides and it was well balanced.

Coley, what do you think?

mufflerman

I'm going to bet you have weaker springs on the slide side, When a rv is designed they normally distribute the weight equally, Like the fridge, heater, water heater, cabinets ect, opposite the slide.
Look at some older p/u's that sag on one side or the other, this is caused by weak springs or frame damage.
If it a wieght distibution problem like Coley suggested then heartland needs to go back to the drawing board, Or get you a new set of springs.

tcbrady

Pulltab - please call our customer service department (or have your dealer call our customer service department) at 574-262-8030. This could be a Mor-ryde issue and we might need to make an adjustment. It's difficult to determine the problem without more information.

thanks,

Pulltab

UPDATE:

I took the Rv in to the dealer and had them check it out. They came up with 3/4" difference in ride height. I asked them to weigh the sides and they came back with 4900 on driver side and 4400 passenger side. The slides are on the driver side so I guess the weight is from the slides. Dealer says anything within an inch is within spec according to factory. I'm ok with that as nothing is in a perfect world but it is a little frustrating that I have to use leveler blocks on level ground. Of course not often do I get a site that is level, so I guess the law of average will make things work out. :)

Uncle Rog

Pulltab, I don't know, but I would want the unit to be level on level ground. The phrase "with in specs" has been misused more than once. When I went through our PDI I was told, "by the dealer", that they no longer supplied a spare!, and I said OK......

Pulltab

Uncle Rog said:
Pulltab, I don't know, but I would want the unit to be level on level ground. The phrase "with in specs" has been misused more than once. When I went through our PDI I was told, "by the dealer", that they no longer supplied a spare!, and I said OK......

I agree with you Rog, but the issue is we live fulltime in our unit so first a decision has to be made as to how to fix it and then getting it done in a fixed time period. Now to the dealers credit (Best Buy RV's) they have been great and so far have always accomodated us in this manner but it's a PITA to take it to them and have to go back and pick it up. I can buy the next size spring rates for about $65 and put them on myself and it would be easier and cheaper. Sometimes going back to the dealer just doesn't make sense. My real concern was that the springs were weak or a bad batch and I wanted to head that off early. Appears the issue is more weight on one side. Perhaps this is a place the factory needs to pay attention to in the future to better balance the unit. I have done what I can to offset this by putting my generator and heavier stuff on the opposite side.

Heartland seems to pay attention to what the issues are and respond accordingly for future builds. I could also be a rare case as most of their units have slides on both sides to compensate now. Important thing is I got the info I really needed to make a decision.

Forrest Fetherolf

To level your RV from side to side, install a spacer block between the spring and axle spring mount on the low side of RV. The spring u-bolts have about 1" of unused threads that will accommodate up to a 1" spacer; if a larger spacer is needed, use longer u-bolts.

Since I replaced the China Bombs with G614 RST Goodyear's, the new tires are about 1-1/2" smaller in diameter causing the RV to not tow as level. I will install spacer blocks under all 4 springs to level up as soon as I return home to CA from IL & PA.

Pulltab

Forrest, spacers are one of my options and a most likely answer. I didn't want to make that decision till I had good info on weights. Now I have weights and at 4900 lbs, the springs still have 1100lbs of capacitiy left so a spacer is a very viable option. Thanks for mentioning it. :)