Changing Front Screw Jacks to Hydraulic Jacks

bobncab97

Hello,

I own a 2009 Heartland Cyclone 3950. The drivers side landing gear fell to the ground because the rod that holds the gear in place broke. I was able to chain the leg in the up position to get the coach home. After doing extensive research I found that HWH had the best sollution for the fix. I replaced the entire front landing jacks with a hydraulic system. Part number AP 43042 http://www.hwh.com/ml43047.pdf. I did the work myself over the weekend and it works amazing. Each jack is controlled independently and can lift 7,000lbs each. I have pictures of the finished product if interested and the broken parts as well if interested.

Bob Black
bobncab97@yahoo.com

jimtoo

HI Bob,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. Thanks for the link to the hydraulic jack system, looks good. Please do post some pictures of the broken jack and also the install you did, if you can.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Bob I also moved your post and started a thread just for this.

bobncab97

Jimtoo,

I am not able to post any pictures at this time because I am still new to the forum. I can how ever email them to you and you could post them for me.

Later,
Bob

wdk450

Bob:
Great mod. something I have wanted to do for a long time. If you don't mind can you tell me how much it cost, did you have to do any welding, and how did you access the off door side leg (mine is to the blocked side of the generator)?

bobncab97

Bill,

I had to remove the Generator which wasn't that difficult just be sure to have help because it is around 150lbs and I used a very sturdy table to slide it onto while I did the work so there was very limited lifting required. No I didn't have to do any welding it was able to be put back into the brackets of the old ones with out any modifications at all. The cost is around 1850 and about 150 in shipping but it was well worth it. I did call the company of one problem with the circuit breaker because on the paper work it said 125amp and it kept popping the breaker. HWH said that when they install the systems at their company they use a 200amp fuse. I have replaced it with a 200amp breaker and it works great without any issues.

Good luck! If you have any other questions let me know.

Bob

wdk450

Wow, 200 Amps!!! This calls for battery cable sized wiring, and maybe a couple of extra batteries. 200 amps is more than a lot of small cars use to start them! I would have thought that the hydraulic system would draw a lot less than the 50 amps the screw drive system is fused at. I just rechecked the Lippert Room Slide out hydraulic system, and they only call for 50 amps circuit protection there.

jimtoo

That's what I thought also,, but if you look at picture #4 you will see the motor and relay. It is hooked to battery cable sized wiring. The 200 amp or what ever it does draw does not go through a switch that you touch. Your only activating the relay for the motor. (Kinda looks like an older model Ford starter motor and relay.) Doubt that it would ever go to 200 amps unless you run legs to full extension.

Jim M

Wow, 200 Amps!!! This calls for battery cable sized wiring, and maybe a couple of extra batteries. 200 amps is more than a lot of small cars use to start them! I would have thought that the hydraulic system would draw a lot less than the 50 amps the screw drive system is fused at. I just rechecked the Lippert Room Slide out hydraulic system, and they only call for 50 amps circuit protection there.

bobncab97

Rick & Debbie

I got everything which included the Jacks, mounts, hydraulic hoses, hydraulic pump with tank for the fluid which is all hooked up to the pump ready to be installed. Another nice thing about the type of fluid that goes in the the system is any type of Automatic Transmission Fluid that you would put in your vehicle.

Later,
Bob

bobncab97

Bill,

I didn't install any other batteries and I don't have any issues with the system operating normally. I do agree about the 200amps it took some time for me to wrap my head around it.

Bob

caissiel

Amperage is related to pressure and speed. When no pressure the amperage draw should be ok and only 2 inches or so of travel that will use the 200amps. So no mather how much amperage it draws it will do the same work at high speed or low speed.
Either 200 amp fast and short or less amperage slow and longer time. so the battery draw should be equal.