Factory Brake Controller

Sandpirate69

I just purchased a 2008 Chevy 3500HD Dually LMM LTZ. I was told by someone that if I was going to tow my 5ver I would need some special or additional Kit. If there is such a kit, who makes it? Can someone help me out here? Is this guy blowing smoke up my ars? Why else would i be buying a large truck, maybe to make the petro companies richer. :D

Thanks,
Ivan

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
If your truck doesn't have a brake controller installed, you'll need one to activate the trailer brakes. Ken

olcoon

Some people have been complaining that the factory brake controller isn't/doesn't work like it's supposed to. I think some of them have installed an after market brake controller, and disabled the factory one. I've got a 2010 Dodge with the factory brake installer, and it works OK as far as I can tell. But this is the first thing I've pulled with brakes and don't have anything to fall back on as far as expierence. I've got it set on about 4 & everything seems OK.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Not sure how different the 2008's are from the 2009's, but look on the lower left of your IP. Where the white arrow points is the factory brake controller in my truck. If you don't have one, or something similar, on your IP, then you will need to get one installed. Does your truck have the trailering package, along with the Tow/Haul selector on the shift lever? Most likely, it does.

View attachment 17120

Sandpirate69

John,

It's just like yours, identical. I just got the truck and getting ready to have the sprayed on bedliner, so i can install my hitch. I need to get this truck RV worthy for a possible trip. Did you install some type of kit so that the factory controller worked?

JohnDar

If your truck has the factory brake controller, it's almost GOT to have the trailer plug back under the rear bumper, next to the trailer hitch. I think it's all part of the trailering package option. You should not need to install anything else unless you want to have a connector in the bed of the truck. That's a simple modification if you don't want to have the cord dangling behind the truck going down the road. Only scary part is having to cut a hole in the side of the truck bed.

Once you get your hitch installed and go pick up the trailer, you may need to experiment a little in the dealer's lot to find the right setting for the controller. If it's like mine, you might start out a a setting of 5.5 and see how it feels. If you have the vehicle owner's manual, it should have the instructions on how to set it. If not, come on back and we'll see if we can russle up some instructions for you to start with.

Westwind

If you don't have the outlet in the bed of the truck you can get one from eTrailer.com that fits the year model of the truck and it's plug and play.
Very easy to install. I did it on my 2008 GMC and it wasn't hard at all. I have the factory installed break controller and it works great, was on of the have to haves when I was hunting for the truck. Enjoy your new truck, trust me when I say you will love it.

JohnDar

If you don't have the outlet in the bed of the truck you can get one from eTrailer.com that fits the year model of the truck and it's plug and play.
Very easy to install. I did it on my 2008 GMC and it wasn't hard at all. I have the factory installed break controller and it works great, was on of the have to haves when I was hunting for the truck. Enjoy your new truck, trust me when I say you will love it.

That's where I got my in-bed outlet harness, too. True, it's an easy mod, but I still had a bit of a pucker drilling that hole into the side wall of the bed. But I got better...

DMitch

It's possible that if the factory controller was never used, you may need to add the large trailer brake fuse. I have the same truck and mine did not come with the fuse installed when it was new.

TedS

My 2004 Chevy was factory prewired for an after-market controller, a Prodigy, which I installed. Just plug and play. I had the 7-pin connector installed in the box wall, the factory-installed harness was there to for the connector.

I have a 2008 HD 2500 with towing package. If you have the same , everything you need is there, except the 7 pin plug in the bed if you
opt for that addition.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The only thing that I heard is that the OEM controllers won't work with disc brakes on a 5er. If you opt to install the 7 pin plug in the bed....install it in the rear left side of the bed. If you install it in the front.....the cord will get REAL short on a hard right turn. The wire harness kit comes with everything you need to install it except the plug that goes in the bed. I think I paid around $70.00 for mine. Find the spot about a foot or so from the end of the tailgate forward.....get out your drill....close your eyes...and pull the trigger. BTW, put a little nail polish on the raw metal before you install the plug. Chose the color you like from DW's stuff that matches the color of the truck. Never liked pink trucks. LOL

Speedy

To avoid drilling the huge hole for the in bed connection I went with a Pro Plug. http://www.rvproplug.com/ Install was easy and I only drilled four small holes for mounting it to the inside wall of the stake pocket. Holes for the harness are already there from the factory.

Wolfpackers

Here is a pic of where I had my plug installed in the bed. Just below the stake pocket, easy run for the wires. If your truck wasn't already set up for towing, you may have the "5th wheel trailering provision" which is just an extra receptacle with a long harness. It would be tie wrapped up under the bed near the front left side of the bed. It connects back at the rear of truck. Just make sure nobody uses "pinch connectors" on your wiring....it can cause problems. If you have the extra wiring, use it to connect to the in-bed receptacle. This location works very well for my set up...easy to reach.

Brent

010.JPG

JohnDar

Using the pigtail harness from etrailers, I put the receptacle just forward of where yours is. So now I've got both the in-bed and the bumper receptacles available. The one you installed probably took an 1 1/4" hole, just like mine.

Westwind

I Liked the one from eTrailer because the most work was drilling the hole, the rest was just plug-in. Within a few minutes I was ready to go and when I got to Maine to pick up the trailer it worked.