Shore water pushing through pump and filling my fresh water tank

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
One my second pump and now I have a wet basement. My fresh water tank fills from the city water side, pushing so much water into it that it comes out my fill connection filling my basement area with water. I have a pressure regulator set to just under 60 PSI. Any Ideas on this issue?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
One my second pump and now I have a wet basement. My fresh water tank fills from the city water side, pushing so much water into it that it comes out my fill connection filling my basement area with water. I have a pressure regulator set to just under 60 PSI. Any Ideas on this issue?
Mike, Sorry to hear of your pump issues. A question! Is your 2nd pump the same model/type as the first? The reason I ask, these pumps have been having problems exactly as you describe. The valving within the pump is supposed to act as a backflow preventer when hooked to city water. It may be adjustable but I can't say for sure. If you're still under warranty you can go through those channels.
We switched to the basic Shur Flo 2.8 pump and have not had a problem since. The 2.8 is the old standard pump. It's a bit noisier but still pumps plenty of pressure and volume for our needs.

bdb2047

I had the same issue called surflo and they sent a kit to replace valve.When I took front of pump off there was a small piece of dirt in valve.Removed dirt and it fixed problem.Since you are on secound pump may not help you.There should be strainer on inlet side of pump mine was not together properly and allowed dirt to get into pump.Have not had a problem since over a year.If your problem is simaliar to mine try this.In UDC turn valve to winterise and water should come out intake hose instead of flowing into tank.

2psnapod2

Thanks guys for the replies, I contact ed Shurflo and they said that I needed to have a additional check valve added. To call HP and work with them since still under warranty. So I'll do that and see how it goes.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dave, good idea. I take it that you then direct the winterize intake hose out the bottom of the UDC as a temporary fix?

Peace
Dave

2psnapod2

Since we fulltime I just attached the fittings that I made to cap the lines going to and from the pump and no water flowing into tank.

2psnapod2

An update to this issue. Contacted Shurflo and was told that the 5.7 pump actually does not have a check valve built in. the new design of the pump uses the propellers to act as a valve. Which does not always work if under a high enough pressure. Shurflo is suggesting the addition of a inline check valve. they have one on there website. I found a site that sales it. I have contacted HL and was told that I needed to lower my pressure to 40 or 45 and that would stop the issue. This does not seem to be an acceptable resolution to me. They need to add a check valve. HL is checking on it and is suppose to call me back. We will see what happens. If they do not add one I most surely will myself.

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Sh...-12-Check-Valve-Trailer-Camper-RV_p_2280.html

bdb2047

I let it run out of UDC ,was a stedy drip.Could proably put pipe plug in if you want.Surflo had part to me in 2 days as it turned out did not need new part.
Dave, good idea. I take it that you then direct the winterize intake hose out the bottom of the UDC as a temporary fix?

Peace
Dave