Screws

busted2341

Has anyone had the problem of screw heads breaking off.....Once again, now out of warrenty...I keep have the screw heads breaking...The roller on the bedroom slide just broke off all four screw heads, fell off...Any specific screw I should use and how long.....Just like the screws on the closet hanger....

Forrest Fetherolf

busted2341,

I posted this several months ago:
My 3600RL had the same roller problem of snapping off the screws allowing the sides of the bedroom slide to sag and pinch the lower rubber wiper seal. The king bed cantilevers over the slider rails about one foot on each side. The factory installed the rollers near the slide rails with only two screws not four. The slide floor sagged on the ends and bows up in the middle not contacting the center roller. Because of the weight on the rollers, I shimmed under the slide base frame to raise the entire slide 3/8". I relocated the rollers closer to the end of the slide with 4 drywall screws to eliminate the sagging ends and bow up in the middle. The three rollers factory installed are not strong enough to support the weight and should be replaced with longer rollers. So far I have pulled about 4000 miles and the slide fix has worked.

Forrest

ct0218

Most screws seem to come from China these days. They tend to use a lower quality steel, mostly recycled stuff. Over the last 10-12 years I have usually discarded the small packets of screws, etc., that come with most things that have to be attached and used my own stock. For about that long I have bought my screws from Mcfeely's (Mcfeely's.com). They have high quality screws, nuts and bolts (and some ss nails), but you could spend a small fortune stocking up on everything you would need. I collected mine over the years as a builder. Haven't checked lately, but they used to sell assortments and sets. Top quality stuff.

busted2341

Thanx...I see the roller problem has appeared before...my biggist problem is I have a heard time seeing up under the slide to replace the screws that broke off......It seems I am finding more of these srews everywhere!!!!..I am not a great mechanic...but it seems I am becoming one....Can anyone tell me the lenth of screws I should use.....My luck I will screw right out the side and be screwed!!!!!

Forrest Fetherolf

busted2341,

I used 1" coarse thread drywall screws. Move the slide in about 12 to 14 inches and you should be able to see and have room to install the screws. As I posted earlier, reinstall the roller as close to the outer end of the slide as possible for better slide support.

Forrest

jcd8822

Joseph
We just had ours fixed at Recrational Specialities. It turns out the screw was not in there tight and the roller came off. Hopefully the heads will not break off now that it is back on and finally working correctly.

Joseph