Duramax and 4.10's anyone?

ihsolutions

I just ordered a new 2012 Chevy 3500HD LTZ dually and, without thinking, paid no attention to the gear ration selection. The "Standard" ratio is a 3.73, which is what I had on my old Duramax. The new one has lots more power, plus a 6-speed vs 5-speed.

There is an option to get 4.10's and it's not too late to change it. There are no in-stock trucks with these gears, so maybe it's not a common option.

Is this something worth considering, or should I stick with the 3.73? I don't drive the truck much unless I'm towing, but I'm concerned if I went to the 4.10's the engine might be revving too high at 65mph, where I typically tow.

Anyone have this or thought about it?

wal_mart

I have a Dodge so it may not be relavant.I have 3:73 gears, and the sweet spot in engine mileage on the cummins is 2000 rpm +/- 100 rpm. In overdrive towing I have to maintain close to 70 mph. In areas where speed is 55-65 I am lugging. I would vote for 4:10's which is what I had in last diesel, much more relaxing for me.

Westwind

I have a 2008 with the D/A 6 speed 3.73, with the tow/haul on the transmission you do not need the 4.10. You will be pleasantly surprised how well the truck moves. Even in the Tow/Haul mode if your on level road the Allison will shift into the sixth gear and that where your fuel savings will come in. I'm not sure you can order 4.10 coupled to an Allison, your dealer should be able to answer that question. You should call for peace of mind.

Delaine and Lindy

I have owned more than one GM 3500HD, and have a 2012 Chevy 3500HD DRW's. I really believe there is no need for the 4.10 rear gear. The 3.73 will be find and the fuel mileage is better. The Duramax will turn less RPMs. I think you will be fine... I wouldn't even consider a 4.10 rear gear. Oh yes you will Love the 3500HD and l traded a 2011 Chevy 3500HD DRWs and the Truck was awesome. I do believe the 2011 and newer are the best 1 ton Trucks GM has ever built. This is our 5th GM 3500HD and pulled the Colorado Rockies this past summer 6,850 miles and the 2011 Chevy was flawless. Happy Trails....

ihsolutions

Thanks all. I will stick with the 3.73. That's what I had before and it was fine, even with less power. The new truck is unbelievably better than the old one, which I always thought was pretty great (until I drove the new one). They are so much more rigid now, especially going over bumps, etc, it's very obvious the frame is MUCH stronger than on the old truck. Nevermind the fact I am comparing a 2500HD to a 3500HD DRW, though!

More than the new truck, though, I'm looking forward to the 128 gallons combined fuel capacity, between the 38 gallon factory tank, and the 90 gallon "tool-and-fuel" tank that Classy Chassis is putting in for me. Figuring out how to navigate tight fuel stations has been my biggest complain in 10 years of RV'ing.

bill40

You will be fine we have pulled some pretty good grades with ours and the BC is pretty close to your 3670 . Enjoy it Merry Christmas.

Birchwood

From a recreational point of view the 3.73 will get you to the campground.From a commercial
hauling point of view the 4.10 may extend the life of your vehicle??

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I have 4:30's in mine and enjoy the set up very much but, we are surounded by mountains here.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I don't think GMC offers a 4.10 with the 3500HD Duramax, even as an option. In any literature I've seen, the 4.10 was a gasser option. Although I haven't tried pulling through the Himalaya's, just running I-75 north through West Branch (highest climb in Michigan, anyways), mine didn't seem to care about the hill.

ihsolutions

John, that cliimb on I-75 just north of West Branch was just as difficult as any climb I encountered heading south from Michiigan,all the way to Orlando, on I-75.

My truck made it fine but did downshift to (4th) holding steady around 60-62mph if I recall.

The additional 97hp and 270lb/ft of torque of the new truck might be a difference maker, though.

I'm almost certain the 4.10's are an option with the diesel.. a couple hundred bucks... at least the salesman insists that it is, and they're never wrong, are they? :)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John, that cliimb on I-75 just north of West Branch was just as difficult as any climb I encountered heading south from Michiigan,all the way to Orlando, on I-75.

My truck made it fine but did downshift to (4th) holding steady around 60-62mph if I recall.

The additional 97hp and 270lb/ft of torque of the new truck might be a difference maker, though.

I'm almost certain the 4.10's are an option with the diesel.. a couple hundred bucks... at least the salesman insists that it is, and they're never wrong, are they? :)

Could be they've made the 4.10 an option on the newer ones, I haven't looked. But on mine, none of the literature showed it available for the DRW 3500HD. Maybe it's a "gotta ask" option. But mine seems to be fine with the standard 3.73.

porthole

Retired
I believe GM only offers the 3:73 ratio. You will be just fine.

Same with Ford now, 3.73 only. If you want 4.10's you have to get a F-450, and 4.10's is the only option with that truck.
AT least with the Ford, comparing a 2011 F-350 and 450 with similar trailer weight, mileage drops about 1-1.5 MPG with the 450 (myself and SpringerDan)

Sandpirate69

Instead of installing 4:10 gears opt for a good tuner to boost your Torque. There are plenty out there, so do the research. Don't get something for too much HP.

Ivan