Dual fuel filters

sjs731

Anyone here ever upgraded their diesel TV to a dual fuel filter system? I am considering based on a discussion I had recently with my mechanic about how dirty fuel is becoming. Just had my ECM tuned to add 70 RWHP with an increased and flatter torque band. Considering adding another fuel filter and a lift pump.

jnbhobe

The Fords have a primary and a secondary fuel filter. I see that Ricatic is looking at this thread so I'm waiting to see what Rick has to say, since he was recently screwed over by Ford.

Rickhansen

I have not, yet. I too have heard about issues with dirty fuel and recently have read a couple articles asserting that it is uniquely a US problem. The new pumps and piezo injectors require very clean fuel or they will suffer the result pretty quickly.

My '11 D-max has pretty good sized 2-micron filter. That's pretty fine filtration when you consider that a very good water filter for your rig is 5-microns. It has a "filter life remaining" readout that I saw go from 70% to 0% instantly, based on differential pressure across the filter. Luckily, I had a filter on-hand. These filters aint cheap - about $49 from Advanced Auto. I'd be interested in a pre-filter of maybe 5-microns before the 2-micron filter.

I'm not sure if the economics justify it, as a 5-micron is almost the same price as the 2-micron, plus the kit, etc. I'll keep an eye on this thread, maybe someone else can shed some light.

sjs731

Yes, Rick, I was told it was a US problem. My mechanic also told me it varies around the country. Also just because a truck stop has "fresh fuel" because of high volume of sales doesn't mean it is clean. He also said he has changed injectors in the LB7 motors at 70k miles because of dirty fuel and the LBZ, which I have, he said he hasn't seen failures until 150k miles. Some don't have any problems. I'm just trying to get a feel for if it is worth it. I guess "worth it" speaks for itself if a secondary filter set up is a couple hundred dollars as opposed to a $400-$500 injector.

Tool958

DMitch, that is the guy doing my work. Small world.
I went with the single Kennedy lift pump and pick-up tube in my truck. It will supply plenty of fuel for your horsepower range. It is very quiet unlike some of the others on the market. I can't tell when mine is on without actually getting under the truck and feeling it. If there would ever be a problem with the lift pump it will flow fuel to the fuel pump without it running.

As to the fuel filter set-up I went with the Nicktane single filter. It uses standard CAT filters which can be bought about anywhere. Both are highly recommended in the diesel forums for the longevity of your fuel pump and injectors regardless of what brand or brands you go with.

sjs731

Tool958, So you added the a Nicktane kit at the rear of the truck (as shown on the Nicktane website) in addition to the OEM filter under the hood?

Tool958

beardedone

Beardedone
On my truck I installed a 160 liter aux. fuel tank and plumbed it into the O.E.M. tank. On the connecting fuel line I installed a manual valve to shut off supply at the tank if I want to shut it off, then it flows through a water/fuel separator filter and a companion 2 micron filter. After it leaves the OEM tank the fuel has to pass through another similar filter set up and then on to the original engine mounted 5 micron filter. I normally try to fill only the aux. tank and only fill up the main tank directly on extended trips. In this way the fuel is filtered at least three times. Some people question this and think that I am over filtering however with the Big 3 looking for any excuse to dishonour warranty claims I am not taking a chance. Water in fuel systems is extremely expensive to repair and runs into many thousands of dollars. One advantage of being set up this way is that if I am forced to fuel up at a suspicious source I can quickly check for water in fuel and shut the aux. tank off if water is detected. Nothing is guaranteed but I have a fighting chance to avoid costly repairs.