Scare light rings

1231ChaseB

Hi All ! I'm noticing some rust on the rings around the big round lights on the outside walls and was wondering if anyone knows if a person could get stainless rings for these things ?
chaseb

CactusTwo

Have yet to see replacement housing in stainless steel as mine are rusting on the edge too. Rustoleum or Tremclad for rust and a small artist brush. Wipe off loose rust dust with cloth (maybe some paint thinner) and after you stop shaking up the ladder, apply some paint to edge. Repeat next fall then spring until they make some stainless or nylon housings :)

PeternLiane

I've never seen any stainless steel rings. On our old TT we had to remove the rings, remove the rust, put rust inhibitor on and repainted the rings with Rustoleum. Everything was good after that.

57chevyconvt

Having the same problem with the painted rings on both security lights. I have purchased two new lights for replacement that have a chrome plated ring. These lights are available at most Trailer Truck supply houses and/or cargo trailer sales & service. The replacement lights that I bought, yet to install, are used for inside lighting for trucks with box beds or cargo trailers. They look to be just as water proof as the lights supplied by Heartland. The painted rings start to rust on the outter rim of the ring because this is a sharp corner and paint doesn't adhere to a sharp corner. If I do decide to paint the ring, I will try to do a little filing and sanding to ahcieve a small radius on the thin sheet metal ring so that the paint doesn't run away from the sharp corner.

traveler44

I removed the rusty one from the front door side today and was going to paint it. I decided I didn't want one that would tend to rust again. Optronics makes one that has a stainless steel base and another that has a molded plastic base. I ordered the molded plastic one from Etrailer for $9.95 plus shipping. When I looked up the shipping it said the shipping special was $2.99. I suppose the stainless steel one would cost you more. The one I ordered had a part number-RVSL31. I replaced the one on the off door side with a motion detector type light a long time ago. I thought I should update because the one I received 2-3-2012 from Etrailer has the painted metal base instead of the plastic based one I thought I was getting. Tom

Last edited: