Tires Tilting in at the Top?

PSF513

Last fall, my wife commented, after following me home from camping, that the left rear tire on our 2011 BH seemed to wobble a little and be tilted inward at the top. Yesterday was such a nice day that I jacked the BH up, took the tire and wheel off expecting to find a either a bent rim or a loose bearing hold-down nut with a broken cotter pin. No such luck on either. So I took the hub off, pulled the inner and outer bearings out expecting an issue (nothing could be found), repacked the bearings, put all back together, and to the unit out with my wife following. When we got back she commented she did not notice wobble but both rear tires seemed to be tilted inward at the top still. Makes me think that make there is an axle problem. Any similar experiences, thoughts, or possible solutions?
THANKS!:confused:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The only thing I can think of Pete, is to have your wife or a friend take the rig down the road and you follow. Get your own perspective.

Do you have access to a small level? Cut a piece of wood to set against the wheel , not touching the tire. Put a level on it and see what you have. Otherwise a trailer alignment shop may be your next option.

DougS

Doug S
Check to see if axle has lost it's bow (should look like a frown). You can compair the front and rear axles. With the spare it might be hard to see. I had a straight iine axle, even though after weighing, I was under on all axes. Also look for wear on inside tread.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I'd try checking the wheel level on both axles while hooked up like Ray suggested. Excess weight can cause the wheels to lean in towards the top. The stock axles will be bowed up in the center so compair the two. If you are a DIY'er negative camber can be corrected by placing a floor jack under the center of the axle and adjusting it till it's within specs. (slowly bend the axle up to achieve slightly positive camber)

Manzan

Last September in Bakersfield, I noticed that the inside edge of RR tire on trailer was very worn. 3800 miles on the trailer. Put on the spare and checked the LR and it was worn also but not as bad. Took the trailer to the dealer when I got home and they checked the bearings, (one of the the things I suspected) and the axle ( the other thing I suspected). Axel bent and bad bearings on the RR. Bent axle may have caused the baring to go bad. Replaced that axle (thanks, Lippert), did not like what they saw and replaced the front Axel (thanks again, Lippert). Check the inside edges of your tires and see if they are worn. Easy to feel. The RR was worn down to the cords--lucky that I did not have a blow out.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Pete, if the axel is bent, Lippert should replace it. If it is out of warranty however, and you can swing the cost, replace the Lippert axels with Dexter. Not nearly as many problems mentioned on the forum with the Dexters.