Missing Pocket Door

Occo

We have a 2009 Bighorn 3400RL. I noticed there had been some changes done to the wall at the step. It appeared there was a space for a pocket door there. When I removed the fill material I discovered a space for a pocket door. Was there one there originally? Why would it have been removed.
I want to reinstall one if there isn't a good reason it was removed. Any ideas out there?

Thanks, Bill

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My guess would be that somebody removed it. Did you buy the rig used? In my older catalog, it shows the 3400RL with a pocket door at the top of the stairs to close off the bedroom from the rear of the coach. Desireable since the shower is in the bedroom, right at that entry. Look above the entry and see if the track for the pocket door is still there or if there are some empty screw holes visible. Removing the track would have been an effort since it extends into the pocket and there isn't a lot of room to work in there.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bill, I must say, that's pretty strange. We have an 07 3400RL and ours has the pocket door. While I can't explain why yours doesn't, I suppose if you want one, it can be done. All you would need would be dimensions. Ours is 72" X 26". The biggest problem may be attaching the track up top behind the shower wall. If you have skinny arms it might be doable.
Consider calling Heartland with your VIN and maybe they can tell you why your rig didn't get a door. They may even have a door you could purchase with hardware. Let us know the outcome. Good Luck!

Occo

Thanks John. Yes, there is signs of empty screw holes. I thought it looked like there was one there originally. I'm in the process of seeing how I can get the track reinstalled for a door. A bit of a challange.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks John. Yes, there is signs of empty screw holes. I thought it looked like there was one there originally. I'm in the process of seeing how I can get the track reinstalled for a door. A bit of a challange.

If you can get your arm inside the pocket, you should be able to attach the track. Attach it first in the door opening over the step, where you can get at it easily. Then run in screws as far into the pocket as you can reach.

Occo

Well, with the help of my Son we got-er-done.. We got acloset bypass track with rollers and a very nice solid wood paneled door at theHome Depot. Had to trim it o size. He derived an idea to mount the track in the existing hole. We screwedas many places we could reach then cut a 1x4 just a bit longer than the verticalspace. Pushed it into the back of the space to contact the rail at it’s farend. When pushed in at the bottom it jammed the end of the rail very tight.Works great. The hard part is trying to finish the door to match the interiorcolor.
Thanks to all, Bill

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bill, Thanks for the report. Strange that the door was removed. I guess the original owner had issues of some sort and the easiest fix was to remove the door.