Tst tpms

PeternLiane

As mentioned we are totally newbies. Would someone explain this tst tmps. Thanks

Truck System Technologies (TST) Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

It is an electronic system for monitoring the air pressure in a vehicle tire and automatically transmitting a warning to the driver in the event of an under or over inflated tire.

porthole

Retired
The better systems (as discussed here) will also alert to an overly high temperature increase and a loss of air based on time/pressure drop.

See my video here of a an air loss alert.

This alert is probably 10-15 minutes after the initial alarm. Took me a few minutes to actually figure out what was beeping. Although seemly loud in the video it is not that loud while driving. Although the newer 507 version is loud enough.

When I finally figured out it was the monitor my pressure was down to 74 form about 80 IIRC (IIRC = if I recall correctly)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1EE70vqlNU&feature=g-upl&context=G29da672AUAAAAAAAJAA

wdk450

I just bought a TST system at a streetside vendor in Quartzsite. I paid $239 for Receiver, charger, suction mount, and 4 sensors. New sensors are $35. I drove from Quartzite to Las Vegas yesterday (4 hours), and the system seemed to work just fine. I felt a lot more secure, too.
This was a TireTraker TT-400C system with a 3 year warranty. The vendor was RV Special Things (rvspecialthings.com)

While talking to the saleslady on Tuesday, she told me that she had a lady who had just come to Quartzsite from Riverside, County, Ca. who had a blowout on the trip. The report was of over $2000 damage to the rig, and the floor broken through. I had just made the same trip from Riverside County to Quartzsite. She told me this after the sale. I didn't tell her where I had come from.

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I just bought a TST system at a streetside vendor in Quartzsite. I paid $239 for Receiver, charger, suction mount, and 4 sensors. New sensors are $35. I drove from Quartzite to Las Vegas yesterday (4 hours), and the system seemed to work just fine. I felt a lot more secure, too.

While talking to the saleslady on Tuesday, she told me that she had a lady who had just come to Quartzsite from Riverside, County, Ca. who had a blowout on the trip. The report was of over $2000 damage to the rig, and the floor broken through. I had just made the same trip from Riverside County to Quartzsite. She told me this after the sale. I didn't tell her where I had come from.

I have had 3 blowout and each have cause $4800, $4200 and $4900 in damage. There are no inner fenders on the 5er therefore and pieces of tire that come off damage the "J" wrap. The first two blowout were China bombs (Winguard brand) and the last was a Goodyear 614. The first two we did not have a TPMS and the last one we did. We have the Doran system and it did not give any indication of a problem as the tire just exploded. No TPMS will alarm with a catastrophic failure. It did alarm after the failure. BTW the sensors on the Doran are $50 however we were having trouble with the sensors and sent them into Doran and they replaced them without any charge even though we were beyond our warranty. a Quality company IMHO.

Dutch & Di

Just do a google search of TST tire pressure monitoring systems and you'll see results. We have used the 510 & 507 systems. I personally like the 510 system because I like the monitor better. It is easier to read where we keep it and like the fact that we don't have to worry about replacing batteries every year. Hugs, Di
Looking at purchasing the TST 507RV TPMS. Have goggled the product and seems you have to purchase from TST directly. Does anyone know of other suppliers selling this product? Just like the old saying "competition keeps everyone honest!!!!!:D

Archie

Urban350

I have a question about these systems, can you turn either one off if you leave it in the truck and do not have the trailer attached?

jnbhobe

I have a question about these systems, can you turn either one off if you leave it in the truck and do not have the trailer attached?

I have all my sensors off the rig and truck right now so all I did was to unplug the power cord from the unit.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

With the TST system, you can turn the monitor in the truck off and remove it, even if the sensors are still on the trailer. When you need it again, just turn it back on. Might have to attach the power cord if the battery in it has run down after a prolonged shut-off. If you leave it on and drive away from the trailer, it will continue to display the last readings it got. At first I thought mine had an unlimited range until I was edumacated on what it was displaying. Right now, my 510 system is sitting back in its box, waiting for Spring.

Urban350

Thanks for the replies. The reason I asked the question is because my last system I had no way of turning it off and when I would leave the trailer but kept the monitor in the truck it would go into alarm. That is why I left the system on my last trailer.

SilverRhino

On my TST 507 when I am not towing the trailer, it is very easy to turn off the monitoring of the trailer tires. If you hold down the "mode" and "-" button together for about 6 seconds, the tow tires will not show up on the monitor. When I hook back up to the trailer and I need to resume monitoring the trailer tires, I just reverse the process and the monitor once again recognizes and displays my trailer tires.

archbarb

Being I just ordered my TST TPTMS 507RV tire sensors, I saw this on another forum this morning and found it interesting.

TST will be offering a flow through internal sensor which will come premounted at the base of our valve stem.

The sensors will integrate with our 507 monitor and they will program the exact same way.

Battery life will be somewhat greater due to area within which we can fill with our power supply.

We currently have prototypes in testing, and you can expect to see this technology offerred in March.

Our system will be more accurate than the competition as it is not a flow through but rather a complete valve stem assembly. Their system offers two point of air entrance and escape, allowing greater opportunity for erroneous readings.

Our system will be well worth the wait.

I called TST to inquire. Thought since I hadn't received mine yet, I might try this new system. But after talking to Abby Crump with TST Customer Service, I decided to keep what I had ordered!!!!!

The new system does allow you to add air without removing the senors, and she said the batteries do last longer, about 5 years, but you have to break the tires down to get access to replace the batteries at the valve base (that sounds expensive to me). In other words its like the 510 version, that you can add air without removing the sensor.

So I figured I'd rather change batteries every 12 months or so for $10.00 than have to go to a tire shop to have it done!!!!!

Archie

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
With the 510 system, you still have to remove the sensor from the stem to add air. So if you get a 510, or even a 507 system, don't throw away your trusty tire gage.

porthole

Retired

507 monitor has an on/off switch on the side. And as mentioned above, easy to turn off just the trailer tires.

wdk450

The TireTraker system I bought has sensors that detect pressure, temperature, and wheel rotation. They go into "sleep" mode when the tires are not turning to save the batteries. You take them off to add/remove air from the tires. The monitor can be turned off by holding down the center button about 10 seconds. I believe I haven't seen a sensor signal alarm because the sensors are in the "sleep" mode by the time I drive the truck away from the trailer.
The tire batteries are good for a year, and the monitor is good for 30 4 hour monitoring days on 1 recharge. Supposedly the batteries are available at any good-sized drugstore.