Black Tank Valve Leaking

olcoon

Long story & I'll try to make it short. We've got a 2011 27RLSS Elk Ridge. Last summer had problems draining the black tank. Had to wait until we got home in Oct. to work on it. Found out we were victims of when they cut the hole in the tank to install the valve, the part they cut out was stuck in the valve. I replaced the valve & thought all was good. We didn't use the 5er after that until now. We've been in Texas since the first part of Jan. Yesterday I noticed water dripping from the underbelly near the black tank. Dropped the underbelly today, & the valve that I replaced is leaking. I tightened the bolts & nuts on the valve hoping that would take care of the problem. Crossed my fingers, & put water in the tank (I'd already drained & flushed it). Had the valve closed & water started dripping out. The only thing I can come up with is to replace the valve...again. They ain't cheap & I don't really want to do that. I've got the bolts tightened pretty tight & I'm afraid if I tighten them any more I'll break the plastic. Anybody got any ideas???

Black Tank Valve.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If it's truly leaking at that joint between the sectionss, you might try disassembling it and putting some plumber's putty all around the joint and tightening it back up. Check to be sure the sections didn't get cracked when you torqued it down before or that some piece of debris didn't get lodged between them when you assembled it.

olcoon

Thanks John, I had kind of thought about taking it apart, but just didn't want to. I was hoping somebody would come up with something magic! Guess it's back under the rig & play with the stinky stuff!

olcoon

Well, after taking the valve off, cleaning it up, using plumbers putty, it was still leaking. Finally gave up & called a pro. He put it back on, & it still leaked. Finally he got some new seals & so far it's not leaking. Going to leave the underbelly "unbuttoned" over night to keep an eye on it.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I was going to suggest the old valve got damaged when the piece got stuck in it. That would require a valve replacement to correct the problem. But sounds like you got it taken care of.

olcoon

I had already replaced the old valve, but I guess the seals must have been defective. Had to be that, I couldn't have messed them up when replacing the valve!!!:angel:

danemayer

Our black tank valve was leaking, leading to having the dealer replace it under warranty a few months ago. The tech said he had to replace it twice. He told me the first replacement leaked worse than the original valve.

olcoon

Our black tank valve leaks by a little bit, not sure why. It's only a small amount, so we decided to just add a secondary valve, like this one

Yep been there done that. Had the first valve replaced by the dealer under warranty...after a fight with them saying they fixed. Proved a point when I opened the valve on their lot & dumped a nice load! During my problem this last summer I bought one of those valves, & won't be without it now!

lorax

Well I'm going to add the twist on valve to my emergency kit. Sounds like it could save a trip. Thanks, Crumgater!

Ted

HappyKayakers

I had already replaced the old valve, but I guess the seals must have been defective. Had to be that, I couldn't have messed them up when replacing the valve!!!:angel:

In my experience, those seals can get twisted or misaligned while getting the valve positioned back on the pipes. Had that happen when I took the gray 2 valve apart.

Birchwood

Its tedious work aligning the rubber seals in the valve so go purchase some new seals as the old ones may be pinched.
Install the new ones and you may be fine.Use lots of lighting during the install.