water on carpet of Living room slide.

tmcran

Have RV (09 Sundance 2998RB) parked with all slides in. After hard rain checked to see if every thing ok No leaks in this area before. Found wet carpet under the bench seat next to the sofa and next to outside wall. Carpet wet under sofa in the area next to the bench seat, both leaks up next to outside wall. Area was about 3ft square. Again living room slide was in. No water on top of slide,none on the interior walls,no evidence of water on the windows as dust was still on sills.The only thing that might be a problem is the caulk on the trim piece that runs horizontally the length of the slide (has the rubber piece that fits in the channel.) this is where the water was at the same level where the trim and wetness are . The caulked looked ok except for about a 1 inch area that looked as if has pulled away a small amount. Anyone else seen this? When it warms up will re-caulk. No breaks in the plastic or rubber material that fits in the channel.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I read on this forum of some issues with the slide trim end caps and that there was not enough sealant used to keep water out. I searched but could not find that specfic thread. The problem was fixed by removing those plastic end caps and resealing the area as well as the entire horizontal trim piece across the slide. Easy fix...I hope this is all it takes to stop your leak!

Best Wishes!

tmcran

Follow up. Have sprayed water all over the slide. Top to bottom, around all the windows. Have had small rain recently and no wet floors???? I have thought of condensation but it was only wet in a 3-4 foot area. Had to take to the dealer for some maintenance... will see if they can find a leak.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I had a leak in what sounds like about the same area as you. I removed the old caulk and re caulked the window on three sides. Not the bottom. No more leakage.

Peace
Dave

tmcran

Cookie, I'm sure that in order. I was trying to see if I could reproduce the wet area . No luck so far. Guess caulking is next.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
TC, spraying water at randum will not find the leak. You have to use a hose WITHOUT the spray nozzle. Start at the bottom of each window, with someone inside, and SLOWLY work your way up each side. Have the person yell when the leak appears. You will never find the leak otherwise. Spent 47 years tracing water leaks in car....SO I know what I'm talking about. Water leaks are tough to find....trust me I know.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
TC, one thing you might do is. Look at the window frames inside for dust being moved by water intrusion. Have you looked at the weep holes at the bottom of the frames and made sure they are not blocked??

tmcran

Bob, one of the first things I did was check the window frames for signs of water washing away the dust. I have great dust and no streaks or anything. Only sign of water was on the floor next to the outside wall and soaked in about 2-3 feet square. The slide was in. Ran water all along the top and sides. Nothing. Ran water all around the windows nothing. The windows seem to be the first choice If water was on the ends of the slides would think slide seals leaking. Thanks for continued ideas. The weep holes are clear.

tmcran

Well, mystery solved. It was leaking at the window by the area that was wet. However, it was not just putting water on the windows but where the water was put. This was first noticed after a hard rain with wind. After trying all different methods of applying water without finding any leaks I started applying water as if the wind was blowing and hard rain. While spraying water in a heavy stream at different angles found the leak. It was at the 2 O'Clock position on the window. The caulk in this area looked to have no problems at all. Cleaned all the caulk and re-caulked top and sides . After drying for a few days checked again. No more leaks. So just because caulking looks good doesn't mean it is. Needless to say I will be re caulking all windows and other areas. I suppose three years is about the limit of caulking life. Thanks for feed back folks.