TST 507 model Tpms batteries and o-rings

porthole

Retired
Re: TST 507 model Tpms battereis and o-rings

Good luck with them E-bay batteries. I've had several different type batteries from different vendors that don't last. I even bought a Sony brand rechargeable camera battery that has shorter life than the Original. Just my opinion, I'll not buy any more batteries through the Internet.

Ray, I have not had any problems with battereis I have gotten off evil-bay. One thing to consider is to make sure the seller is a USA person and the battery name is spelled correctly, not a counterfeit, and check the feed backs.

I edited my first post to remove the evilbay link, that seller has raised his price for 10 batteries to $60.45.
I queried him on it and the response I got was they were low on inventory so they raised the price.

I found the batteries for my Tire Trak sensors (I think it is the same part #) in the JEWLERY/WATCH section of my local WalMart for a reasonable price.
Most hardware stores have a supply of lots of sizes of O rings.

The O-rings for the TST sensors are not a hardware store item! They are specialized.
Besides a simple note to TST gets you a set to change your batteries at no cost.

happykraut

The o-rings are free from TST, just for the asking.
They are designed to be a one time use, I would not re-use it.
Job done. Duane, I went ahead and replaced all the o rings. They are free and I didn't realize that they are that easy to replace. The first one I took apart was the only one where the o ring was not damaged. On all others, tiny little pieces fell out.

traveler44

Are there any videos or some other clear instructions for changing these batteries? I just got my oring kit and my batteries are on order. I also bought two more tire sensors so that I can monitor the rear tires on the truck. I haven't got into trying them yet but I did notice that the old sensors have a different number on the cap than the new ones I just got. Should this cause a problem with the unit reading them or will I just have to do additional programing to get them to read?

danemayer

Are there any videos or some other clear instructions for changing these batteries? I just got my oring kit and my batteries are on order. I also bought two more tire sensors so that I can monitor the rear tires on the truck. I haven't got into trying them yet but I did notice that the old sensors have a different number on the cap than the new ones I just got. Should this cause a problem with the unit reading them or will I just have to do additional programing to get them to read?
I don't know of any videos, but it's pretty straightforward. You need some tiny screwdrivers. If I remember the sequence, you unscrew the outer case, and then use the tiny phillips to remove the inner case. Use a tiny flat blade to push the old battery out (one side has a stop and the other side is open. Pay attention to the top and bottom of the battery so you get the polarity right with the new battery. The o-rings will probably disintegrate as you open the case. The new ones look too small to fit, but will stretch to fit. I use the tiny flat blade screwdriver to help stretch the o-ring and work it into place.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Dan has it right except the sequence. There are 3 tiny Phillips screw holding the "Theftproof device" Remove those to get to the inner part that unscrews using the removal tool and your fingers. The O-rings go on the inner device. They can be stretched on the threaded part just before the thread bottoms out. Use a small screwdriver to stretch the o-rings. Begin at the small end where the sensor screw onto the valve core. I use a little 303 as a "lubricant" on the o-ring.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
That "pay attention to the battery" is critical. If you put the battery in upside down, it fits and you don't know it's wrong... you will have put the O-ring on and screws back in, and back in the valve stem, before you discover it won't work! Don't ask me how I know. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

traveler44

Do the little black disks fit inside the part that screws onto the valve stem. Do you have any problems getting the old ones out or can they be poked out from the other side? Thanks! Tom

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Do the little black disks fit inside the part that screws onto the valve stem. Do you have any problems getting the old ones out or can they be poked out from the other side? Thanks! Tom

Tom, when you say "little black disks" what are you referring to? Do you still have your Owners Manual for the TST? Everything is explained in it but somtimes the directions can be a little vague.

TravelTiger

If you are talking about the little flat disks that look like tiny washers, not the o-rings, these go into where you screw the sensor to the valve stem. The only way I found to remove was using a safety pin to dig it out, and the miniature flathead screwdriver to put the new one in.

porthole

Retired
I use a dental pick - 1 end straight, 1 end hooked.
Straight end to remove any o-ring that does not self destruct and the tire valve side rubber washer.
Hook end to rotate the new o-ring back on. That o-ring sits at the base of the threaded area on a "flat".

I spray the o-ring with a shot of food grade silicone.
I seat the valve stem washer with a piece of 1/4" air line, hard type that comes with air bag kits.

FWIIW, I discarded all the anti theft caps. Makes it so much easier to install, especially on the inners of dually's

traveler44

Thanks for all the information. I took one apart but I'm waiting on my batteries to arrive. I think I will discard the antitheft caps too, just to make them handier and lighter. I will try the plastic toothpicks and the safety pin as needed. I already have a set of the miniature screw drivers. I'm thinking that the rubber washers might be ok for a while. If they start leaking at the valve stem I will have them for replacements. Tom

TravelTiger

traveler44;306547. I'm thinking that the rubber washers might be ok for a while. If they start leaking at the valve stem I will have them for replacements. Tom[/QUOTE said:
I only replaced ours because we had a slow leak on one, and we had bought the 507 used. I sent a pic to TST and asked them if they thought they were due for replacement, and they said yes.

porthole

Retired
Thanks for all the information. I took one apart but I'm waiting on my batteries to arrive. I think I will discard the antitheft caps too, just to make them handier and lighter. I will try the plastic toothpicks and the safety pin as needed. I already have a set of the miniature screw drivers. I'm thinking that the rubber washers might be ok for a while. If they start leaking at the valve stem I will have them for replacements. Tom

When you call TST for o-rings and gaskets they send enough for your aplication plus 1 or 2 extra. Why not change the gasket when you change the o-ring?

traveler44

I got the new batteries and installed them with the new orings and then I figured why not change the washers while I'm at it. They are installed and reading again. I still have to program in the ones for the back of the truck. Thanks for all of the great info., it made doing the job easy. Tom