ATF: Bighorn - Tire and Axle Specs for Bighorns, et.al.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There appears to be a discrepancy between the print catalog specs. and the Heartland website specs. concerning the tires and axles available for Bighorns. The website for BH shows only E-rated tires being offerred yet there are 6K axles for the lighter rigs and 7K's for the heavier rigs. The print catalog does show G-rated tires being used on the heavier rigs, along with the 7K axles. My position is that you can't put E-rated tires on a 7K axle and say its a 7K assembly. The tires limit it to barely over 6K. G-rated tires would give 7500 lbs. carrying capacity, but the 7K axle becomes the limiting factor, making it a 7K system. Methinks there is a mismatch between the print catalog specs. and the website specs. Am I right or do all BH's, regardless of model, now come with E-rated tires as standard, mounted on both the 6K and 7K axles? Does getting the proper G-rated tires, regardless of which brand used, now require an "upgrade," at additional cost to the buyer?

K

karykatz

Heartland RV does use 6k and 7k axels on Bighorn. The E rated tires we use are rated to exceed both axel types. You do have the ability to upgrade to Goodyear G rated tires if you choose.

I hope this helps

JohnDar

Thanks for the reply, Kary, but I know that many of us would be curious to know what 16" tire and load chart you're using for E-rated tires.

brianharrison

John, since our conversation I have done a bit of research and come up with some info from Carlisle Tire re trailer tires --> a table on page 7 shows E rated tires in the BH size (ST235/80R16-E) can support ~3,420# load range at 80 psi.

Brian

EDIT - I also found this post from Kary re all Bighorns have E rated tires (build dates March 24, 2011 and later) --> Link to previous post. Sorry I should have searched a bit harder.

Attachments

• trailer_tire_service_guide.pdf
    883.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

JohnDar

Thanks, Brian. Looks like we rehashed a previous concern. But I like having the G's under my rig. Rather have more than enough tire than just barely (or not) enough capacity.

cooknsharry

I am a new Owner of a 3855FL and put my trust in themanufacturers building of these great rigs! However I am concerned from what Iam reading here. That they are going to put in the minimal axles and tires thatwould possibly be a safety factor? Why would you not use the 7k axle and the Grated tire from the get go for safety and not rather than profit margin? Seriously. I am a new first time owner and I really should of done my home work.Point I do love this site for information and great people with years of experiance Thank You all for your Threads

JohnDar

I am a new Owner of a 3855FL and put my trust in themanufacturers building of these great rigs! However I am concerned from what Iam reading here. That they are going to put in the minimal axles and tires thatwould possibly be a safety factor? Why would you not use the 7k axle and the Grated tire from the get go for safety and not rather than profit margin? Seriously. I am a new first time owner and I really should of done my home work.Point I do love this site for information and great people with years of experiance Thank You all for your Threads

They were putting G-rated tires on 7K axles for the heavier Bighorns. Now suddenly they're not. I didn't like the answer to my question, either. Glad I've got an older model. Perhaps Thor has swung his mighty hammer to smote cost and quality out and profits in by making the G-rated tires an upgrade option instead of standard equipment.