Current factory answer on goosenecks

I read somewhere else that someone looked at a Cyclone with the option to have a 5th wheel or gooseneck on it. What is the factory's current position on gooseneck hitches on the bigger RVs, such as the 4012 or 3912. We have a 4012 running a B&W companion 5th, but certain times of the year it would be more convenient to use the ball and a gooseneck adapter.

-JR

Forrest Fetherolf

jrtexgunner,

I have read posts on this forum and other forums that the goose-neck hitch should not replace the regular hitch pin. Supposedly, the goose-neck hitch puts additional forces on the hitch pin frame that is not designed for the extra torque. I would suggest asking a direct question to the frame manufacturer (Lippert Components) and not rely on other's opinions. Heartland may or not know, Lippert should know.

Forrest

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I have a friend who towed for a while with the goose neck(ball hitch).When he sold his 5th wheel he took the goose neck adapter off his unit and towed to the dealer with the 5th wheel hitch. He told me that he could not believe how much more stable the 5r towed with the regular hitch. He says he will not go back to the goose neck. He just recently purchased the Trailer air system and loves it.

jrtexgunner said:
I read somewhere else that someone looked at a Cyclone with the option to have a 5th wheel or gooseneck on it. What is the factory's current position on gooseneck hitches on the bigger RVs, such as the 4012 or 3912. We have a 4012 running a B&W companion 5th, but certain times of the year it would be more convenient to use the ball and a gooseneck adapter.

-JR

Im in the same boat with my 3912, the convenience of the gooseneck would be a major ++. I hope the factory will chime in soon.:confused:

Thanks for the replies guys. I know in most cases, the manufacturer does not OK the use of the gooseneck, but it got me to wondering about the Cyclone since someone had said they looked at one and had the option. It definitely rides best on my B&W 5th wheel, but sometimes it would sure be handy to just use the gooseneck because we use the gooseneck for other trailers a lot at certain times. I have a gooseneck adapter we used to get it home from the dealer before we got the 5th wheel hitch, going to waste right now never being used.
-JR

Scott

Sorry, I've been out of the office. You should be able to look my posts on this from previous times I answered it - but to get to the point - NO, we do NOT recommend using that type of a hitch on our fifth wheels. Do people get away with it? Yes, but that doesn't diminish the fact that the frame is not designed for that type of a hitch.
Before you do it, I would talk to some others who have them; ask them what their hitch weight is (because the Cyclone has a significant pin weight - so that the rear end can be loaded up..); talk with Lippert Components (who makes the frames) and then make your decision base on that information and how much you are willing to risk, becasue, again, it is NOT recommended by us, nor do I believe will it be recommended by Lippert.
ST

Loco

I will agree with Scott about the gooseneck adapter. You should not use them on the Cyclone. We have a reese 20K hitch in our truck and we put our rig in some rough places when we go to harley rallies. These rigs are very big and heavy when loaded if you use them like we do,then you will also so go out into fields, rough roads and in the mud,you never know what the camping area at a rally will be like. Our 3795 fully loaded with two harleys and every thing else needed for camping the whole rig is pushing 17000lbs loaded. the whole rig came in at 24580 lbs (truck and loaded trailer) When we are moving in and out of the fields the hitch is catching **** that why I went with a 20K and not a 18k. I saw a Raptor with a adapter bend it almost off last year when his trailer tracked into a drainage ditch. He then had no way to move it after that. We took the adapter off and moved it with our truck so he could set up camp.He had to fine a camper dealer to put a regular 5th wheel hitch in so he could get it home after the rally.