Looking to purchase Big Horn

I am new to this forum, but have been looking to going full time in a RV. In looking at all of the 5th wheels, it seems that the Big Horn keeps comming to the top. Went to visit some people with a 3670RL and it was beautiful. But..... Man I did not know that there was so much to know about the purchase of one of these. I will be pulling with a 2008 Ford F-250 single rear tire truck. It has the 3.73 rear end. Is this to much of a trailer for this truck? It is also set up with the crew cab and it is diesel, and 4 wheel drive. Any advice that any one can give me on this and some insite on what to watch for when buying the RV will be greatly appreaciated.

Tim

gawelsh

There will be lots of good advice coming your way here, I'm sure, on matching the Big Horn to your truck....I can't speak to it, although my husband could , if he weren't over in our rig right now "playing" with his new stick-on level.

As far as the learning curve, we are new to the 5th wheel world, too - we've just had ours since late Fall and have used it twice, most recently going to the Heartland Rally in Goshen IN. Spend lots of time on this forum and reading in magazines and on the internet. You'll be amazed at what you'll learn quickly...and the Forum folks here will answer just about any questions you can come up with. Plus you have access to the Factory in the "Ask the Factory" section. It's a little overwhelming at first, but before you know it, you'll be a pro ;) . It is so much fun, too. I say GO FOR IT !!

Pulltab

Blackoak, you need to find out what the GCWR is of your truck, I would assume your truck is probably around 7500lbs itself. So you would take the GCWR and subtract your truck weight (lets say GCWR is 21000 -7500 would equal 13,500 left) this would be your total weight that you can tow (legally):) You really need actual weights to come to this decision. Although you can pretty much use the total GCW of the trailer as a guide which most of the smaller units is 14,000 lbs.

ChopperBill

After hauling our truck camper around pulling our 3055, the "small" model, with the GMC 2500HD is a piece of cake! The pin weight is nothing compared to a TC. Pulls exceptionally well but would like to have that extra 65 HP in the newer trucks. The FW doesn't pull the hills like the TC does but heck its 3 times heavier!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Opinions will vary but I think you'll need more truck. As for the Bighorn as a full time unit, we've been full timing for almost a year in ours and for the money, Bighorn can't be beat (another opinion). We've all had our share of problems but most are easily taken care of by a good "DIY'er".

iefpro01

The 2008 F250 with 3.73 is legal for towing 12500. I suggest you move to the 4.10 to get 15K or the 4.30 to get to 16K. It is all about gearing with the super duties..

It will be plenty truck - just make sure you order the right rear end gearing.

Last edited:

HappyKayakers

We're fulltiming in an '06 3600RL and pulling with a Dodge 3500 CTD QC SRW 6spd 3.73. It pulls and stops fine BUT we're over the trucks GVWR by 3-400 lbs. Since we're under max weights on all truck and trailer axles, I think we're OK. Personally, I think your limiting factor is going to be pin weight on the rear axle. Maybe some other 3670 owners will chime in with their actual pin weights.

jpmorgan37

blackoak99;

Here is a post that will give you the information that you are looking for as to matching the Tow Vehicle to the Fifth Wheel. Hope this helps. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=1644

iefpro01

One more thing - I bought the 3655RD which has a Dry weight of 11950 and a GVWR of 16K. As you can see in my signature I have the same truck only a bit older. Trailer life lists my tow ability at just under 14K (stock). Towing Guides http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=42175. As I mentioned earlair you cahnge the gearing and you can make big jumps on towing capacity.
I have added a thread to discuss some things we can do to increase that ability after market. I also added this to a couple of other forums, I am starting to get some interesting replies. I really think you have enough truck, specially if you get one fo the smaller BH's. I can not max mine out and be under GCVRW, but in fact my registration of the truck shows that I would be "LEGAL".
One thing do not confuse the GVW and the GCVWR, as I did at first. It is all about hitch weight and towing capacity. You can dramtatically increase towing capicity with a gear change, but hitch weight is another issue entirely. Some of the things I have sseen so far:
1) Put larger brakes on the truck in the after market, which has dramtic impacts to GVWR and GCVWR.
2) Put on a larger transcooler
4) Put on Airbags, shocks and or leaf springs
5) Many things to boost engine performance
6) A Ford mechanic has told me the AXLE is prety much the same on several of the supreduty classes. They are actually rated much higher than the GVWR states. He said the main factor is braking, tires, and gearing.
I will be updating my thread once I get more info, but I think in the end you are probably ok.

Truck for Pulling Big Horn

Ok, I got scared enough that I bit the bullet and traded in the F-250 and purchased the F-450. It will pull and stop 24K pounds, so I think that this truck will pull what we need. Now I am just looking foward in selling our cabin and getting into the 5th wheel. Thanks for the help. Look foward in seeing you all on the road. Any more tips in the purchising of the 5th wheel would be greatly appreacated. I also have listed our cabin for sale in this forum under items for sale. If you know of anyone that would love to live on the White River near Mountain View Arkansas please let us know. Our e-mail is sahomaridge@yahoo.com.

K

Ken Washington

Tim & Cathy,
Smart move and you know that you can pull what ever you buy! I see that you have a Gold Wing. Wish I had mine back. I had a 95 SE two tone teal green and was a member of the GWRRA. Been thinking about getting another one.

Ken

Ken, Thanks for the reply. Noticed that you have the Heartland Landmark. How do you like it? We have been looking at the Big Horn, but really like the Landmark. We are looking at going full time so we dont want something that will not last. Send someone to buy our cabin so we can get on the road :)
Tim

K

Ken Washington

Tim,
We love our Landmark after we got all the bugs worked out. If I were going full time, I would go for top of the line or all that I could afford. I would not have one of these big fifth wheels without two A/C's with at least one of them being a heat pump! A Weather Pro awning would also be a must!

Ken

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Don't know about the weather pro awning, although I know it would be nice,but I know for a fact you need the second ac with heatpump in the bedroom.Had it installed last fall. Have used it once or twice this season and makes things much more comfortable.

jpmorgan37

Tim;
To add a little, I have the 3 3/4 brakes, never lube hubs, two a/c's with heat pumps, dual pane windows. These are must haves for us. I didn't get the weather pro awning and have beat myself every time I have to get up at 3 AM to put the awning up.

John

Tom of Ypsi

We did not get the dual pane window and wish we had. We have been in 95 degree heat and high humidity, both air conditioners working and did stay comfortable just glad I did not have to pay the electric bill. We keep the day shade down and it does make a difference.

Ok, guys, thanks. It makes me want to buy a Heartland, just so I can keep up with this forum. This is what we are leaning to buy, but have to bide our time.:( With all your help, I feel that we are going to get the perfect 5er. Again Thanks

trdeal

blackoak99 said:
Ok, guys, thanks. It makes me want to buy a Heartland, just so I can keep up with this forum. This is what we are leaning to buy, but have to bide our time.:( With all your help, I feel that we are going to get the perfect 5er. Again Thanks
I have said it before and I am sure I will say it again. I wish we had known about this forum before we bought our Landmark. We would still have bought our Landmark but there are some options that we didn't think we would need that now I know we do. Had the second ac/heatpump added last season and love it.Now we know the dual pane windows would have been a nice addition. There are other things also. And by the way the first time I saw your handle(blackoak 99),and that you are from Arkansas, I thought of one of my favorite rock groups from the 70's, Blackoak Arkansas. Ever heard of them?

trdeal said:
I have said it before and I am sure I will say it again. I wish we had known about this forum before we bought our Landmark. We would still have bought our Landmark but there are some options that we didn't think we would need that now I know we do. Had the second ac/heatpump added last season and love it.Now we know the dual pane windows would have been a nice addition. There are other things also. And by the way the first time I saw your handle(blackoak 99),and that you are from Arkansas, I thought of one of my favorite rock groups from the 70's, Blackoak Arkansas. Ever heard of them?

I feel the same about this forum. I am glad that I have the time to study and learn about all the options available to us before we purchase one. Anyway... Yes I have heard of Black Oak Arkansas. That is where I got the name. In the Army I was called Jim Dandy because I always listened to them. They were either a love or hate group. People either liked them or hated them.

trdeal

blackoak99 said:
I feel the same about this forum. I am glad that I have the time to study and learn about all the options available to us before we purchase one. Anyway... Yes I have heard of Black Oak Arkansas. That is where I got the name. In the Army I was called Jim Dandy because I always listened to them. They were either a love or hate group. People either liked them or hated them.
Jim Dandy to the rescue, right?