Still optimistic on my 3400RE BH

wingfoot

I considered for a while whether to post this thread but I'm hoping for some reassuring advice.
This is a 2008 3400RE that I purchased just six months ago. I talked to the previous owners and got a positive report. The husband's wife was stricken with a serious ailment and the trailer was in storage for the majority of their ownership. He stated they only took two trips. When we were looking at the trailer we noticed that the previous owner had not even used the stove nor the central vacuum, everything look brand new. Clean as almost new.

Below I have posted the things that I have had to fix/replace. I'm hoping someone will tell me that I have probably fixed all the glitches and can enjoy my Bighorn. I'm slowly loosing confidence.
But I'm hanging in there hoping for better days..
Beginning to wonder if this was his real reason to get rid of this fifth-wheel.

• Rear leveling jacks motor replaced.
  • Front landing gear switch replaced.
  • Front landing gear motor replaced.
  • GFI problem. Found a not striped ground wire.
  • Ceiling seam strip detached. (2)
  • Ceiling fan constant buzzing.
  • Lose sink connection causing leak.
  • Shore water connection check valve failed.
  • Replaced kitchen faucet due to restricted flow.
  • Unable to winterize due to kinked hose behind panel.
  • Replaced two toilet seals. Finally contacted Sealand and got the “new updated model seal”.
  • Installed metal strips under slide edges to prevent further chipping and flaking.
  • Hopefully corrected the front cap water leak.
  • Repaired Ice maker.
  • On several drawers the screws have fallen out of the glide rails.
  • When I picked up the trailer it had one tire separated and we found another one separated while installing new tires.
  • Squeaking floor in living room and bedroom.
  • Drain tube for refrigerator crumbled and had to be replaced. Had to pull out Refrigerator to replace.
  • Closet door catches broke.
  • Oven door bushing missing (black spacer between handle and oven door).
  • Peeling border in kitchen.
  • Living room slide stops on retraction..I'll need a 80amp breaker.

Larry

Last edited:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Larry.....your issues really don't sound that bad, seem to be small problems that many Rv's have. Be happy your unit hasn't cracked in half like a few other BH's. Have you had better luck with your Ford 6.0?

wingfoot

A 2008 and only 2 trips?

If you read my post you will see "the trailer was in storage due to illness"
I'm just the messenger here, that's what the previous owner stated..even told me where they traveled to...I believe him..

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Tire separation, peeling wall paper stripe, and a few others are all symtomatic of a unit that's sat in the environment with no care. Tires are good for 5 years at best anyway. Many of the other items could also have been caused from lack of use - hard to tell for sure. Several items are known issues (corner piece on slides to prevent separation) from that model year that had fixes identified over the past couple of years. I don't think it's a lemon, it just sat with no use. That's generally not good for any piece of equipment. I suspect with the items you mentioned now fixed, you'll be able to enjoy it the way it was meant to be.

57chevyconvt

Even though the list of things corrected may seems long, my advice is to get the BH on the road and enjoy some of this big beautiful country while you can. The price of fuel may be a factor this year, but I am going anyway. Not to many years in my tank to enjoy what we like to do and that is to hitch up the BH and hit the road. BTW - your list is short compaired to my, but believe it or not, I like to work on things and improve on the OEM's design. Yes, you might think I am a lacking in some screws, but at least I am having fun along the way. As we say here in the SW, saddle up old paint, the horse that is, and come to Texas, we will treat you right. Have a good day!

GOTTOYS

Larry.....your issues really don't sound that bad, seem to be small problems that many Rv's have. Be happy your unit hasn't cracked in half like a few other BH's. Have you had better luck with your Ford 6.0?
I never heard of a Big Horn cracking in half, can't even imagine how this could happen. Can you give us some examples or is this another myth?..Don

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I have a 2008 and those are pretty minor issues. The difference being, if the unit had been used, they probably would have occurred one at a time and been fixed. You're dealing with all of the little things at once, instead of over a span of 4.5 years like ours. I have a lot of miles on mine and just have to do little touch-ups here and there. You should be good to go now, and just have to maintain things from here on out. And speaking of maintain, get after that caulking as 2008 to 2012 is too long to expect it to last without touch-up.You will probably never get rid of the squeaky floor, as those years were not laminated construction. Mine still squeaks some, but I don't notice it much anymore. Most importantly, just use it and have some fun. :)

wingfoot

"Cracked in half"...Now that's not exactly what I wanted to hear!

wingfoot

And speaking of maintain, get after that caulking as 2008 to 2012 is too long to expect it to last without touch-up.You will probably never get rid of the squeaky floor, as those years were not laminated construction. Mine still squeaks some, but I don't notice it much anymore. Most importantly, just use it and have some fun. :)

Thanks guys for your responses.
Ray, you are right..I have applied Eternabond on both front and back end caps..should be the resolve to the caulking issue.

BTW: How are your springs doing..saw several post where members were having problems..Springs flatting out?

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
"Cracked in half"...Now that's not exactly what I wanted to hear!

Don't worry about that unless you dropped it 5' off your truck like one of our unlucky members. A few members have posted photos of sidewalls cracks in the OLDER BH's with frame issues.
(net/forum searchs)

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
No RV salesman ever says "These things are built like a steel marble, you have nothing to worry about!" Unfortunately, the RV industry builds these HOMES on WHEELS, built in a matter of days. I also do not believe there is much product testing before new product designs are released to the buying public. WE are the guinea pigs. So, things happen. Components are tested, by us, in real world settings, and weaknesses are discovered. Heartland is not to blame, the industry is what it is. Wingfoot, you've caught a lot of things, that unfortunately, the first owner would have, had they used it more. And like others said, due to non-use, some other problems have developed, as well.

I would suggest you go and enjoy the rig, and try to remember there's no such thing as a "perfect" unit. They are ALL a work-in-progress. The best times are spent around the campfire, talking about your "RV adventures", even when they might include the "fix you had to do that time".

Hope to see you at a rally or on the road!

E

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I have had no suspension or spring issues, but then again , I have a Correct-Track system and never-fail bushings too, which I suspect helps. I know a few that have had spring issues. I replaced the tires on a trip after a bubble in one and uneven wear on another. (before the Correct Track)
I hate to jinx myself, but I haven't even had a light bulb burn out. My major issues were a leak when it was brand new, (fixed by dealer) and a break in my sidewall under the bed slide. Was caused by road damage and Heartland fixed it for me as good as or better than new. I think we've got about 17K on the trailer now, and everything looks good and functions as it should. We do stay on top of the little things and are almost paranoid about checking things before we go. I work in the RV service industry, and Ray is retired so he has plenty of time to tweak stuff on the trailer between trips. :)

wingfoot

Thanks again guys...I feel better now. I think some of the problem is, as stated by some, I have never owned a 5r that had not been used much. Both of my previous OB's were a couple of years old and the owner probably got the kinks ironed out...As one poster eluded to, "they manufacture these trailers in a matter of days"..Lots of room for mistakes and points of omission. It's like I have said on other products..."They make it and put it out there for consumer field testing".