'05 Landmark back up lights

GarryH

I have an '05 Landmark and notice that it has a back up light on either side---but can't figure out how to activate them. I have the regular 7 pin connector but am wondering if I need another connection there wired to the truck backup lights? Anyone come across this issue? or is there another switch somewhere that I'm not aware of?

jnbhobe

The center terminal on your 7 wire plug is the BU lights. Put your truck in reverse with the key on and check for 12v at the truck. The center wire on the trailer plug is the yellow wire, you can pull the cover on the junction box behind the pin box and check there for a connection. Other than that you will have to work from the back forward witch is more of a hassle.

GarryH

Thanks---I'll check this out when the weather warms up---just bought this 5th so don't know all the ins and outs yet

davebennington

GarryH,

I have a 06 Landmark and the backup lights are turned on by a switch in the battery compartment. I believe yours will be the same.

Dave

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
My 2005 Landmark has the lights at the rear on each side of the camper which are operated by a switch in the battery compartment. Never thought of them being back up lights, but they would work for that. Thanks for the idea.

hoefler

GarryH,

I have a 06 Landmark and the backup lights are turned on by a switch in the battery compartment. I believe yours will be the same.

Dave

X2. In the pin box, you will find a metal 4" x 4" junction box with the pig tail attached to it. Inside you will find a yellow wire with out anything hooked to it. This is the reverse light feed. I ran a wire from it to the switch in the battery compartment. Then I wired in a relay to activate the back up lights. I also changed out the lights to a recessed rearward facing 55 watt flood lamps. It is great to have them come on automatically when trying to get situated at night.

!Bq271!wBmk~$(KGrHqIH-CwEvCk3gsCeBL)Md(2biQ~~_35.JPG

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
X2. In the pin box, you will find a metal 4" x 4" junction box with the pig tail attached to it. Inside you will find a yellow wire with out anything hooked to it. This is the reverse light feed. I ran a wire from it to the switch in the battery compartment. Then I wired in a relay to activate the back up lights. I also changed out the lights to a recessed rearward facing 55 watt flood lamps. It is great to have them come on automatically when trying to get situated at night.

!Bq271!wBmk~$(KGrHqIH-CwEvCk3gsCeBL)Md(2biQ~~_35.JPG

But extremely annoying to the folks in the site behind you if you happen to be going into a back to back setup.. Just keep that in mind :).

Crumgater

Our Elkridge doesn't have backup lights... I still think that's a major oversight. Even if they're not bright enough to help us see when backing up - it's at least a clue to bystanders to "LOOK OUT, this Rig's coming your direction!"

We might have to look at see if there's at least a BU wire on the trailer somewhere, and add BU lights to the mod-request (i.e. honey-do) list...

-T

hoefler

A minor annoyance if it makes it simpler to get backed in and set up. Much better than some one jockeying for 30 minutes with yelling and screaming trying to get backed in!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The lights you are talking about are activated by a white rocker switch in the the battery compartment. You cannot wire it into the plug like mentioned above without rewiring the trailer. Newer units may be different. The lights you are talking about could be used for back up lights but the really work well to see a pedestal at night if you need to.

hoefler

The lights you are talking about are activated by a white rocker switch in the the battery compartment. You cannot wire it into the plug like mentioned above without rewiring the trailer. Newer units may be different. The lights you are talking about could be used for back up lights but the really work well to see a pedestal at night if you need to.

No rewiring needed. Just ran a wire from the pin box to the battery compartment where the switch is located and wired in a relay. No big deal, about 2 hours work and less than $10 in parts.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
No rewiring needed. Just ran a wire from the pin box to the battery compartment where the switch is located and wired in a relay. No big deal, about 2 hours work and less than $10 in parts.

cool...may take a look at doing the same.