Adding Window Awning

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We've been mulling over this idea since last season. We're thinking about installing a window awning over the entertainment/computer desk window on the ODS side of the rig. We've already got one on the DS main slide and like it, but the low sun coming in at the computer desk can be pretty brutal, at times. It would also allow leaving that window open during a shower to provide cross ventilation. I've examined the one we've got and watched the install video, so it doesn't look like rocket science to install it. Or I could have my dealer do it, same as the other one, for not too much $$, while they're doing some other PM for me.

Has anybody else put a window awning on that side of the rig? Pros/cons, and yes, it will cover part of the BH decal.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
John, I did the install on the window awning on the big slide. Very Easy install. All the hardware is included even the rivets. Instructions are very clear. You should use SS screws for the awning rail. I ordered ours through Camping World and they have measuring instructions on the website. I'm guessing under an hour for the small slide window.

jnbhobe

John; I put one on my last rig and as Ray said its a real easy job, just don't reef on the screws too hard.

JohnDar

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I have been looking at the CW website and the actual cost isn't bad for a 42" awning with arms. According to their sizing charts, I'd have to go that wide for the 31" window. Fortunately, the slide wall w/o the trim flange, is 58" wide.

Other thing to investigate is a satelite TV system, but that's another post.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Can't wait to see this one John. I think I really would like to do the same, and like to do my own work, but I'm the type that needs good pictures.

JohnDar

Can't wait to see this one John. I think I really would like to do the same, and like to do my own work, but I'm the type that needs good pictures.

Oh sure, now you've put the onus on me to do it. Talk about pressure. I priced it out at CW, and it would be $260 shipped to my door. Looks like the "Bighorn" on the side might look like he's got a big bone in his nose. Other than making sure it's rolled up (DUH!) when moving the rig, I can't think of any reason not to do it. With the site we'll be moving to this season, the afternoon sun will be on that side of the trailer and there aren't many trees in the way of it later in the day.

ralphpam

We were going to add awnings but called Heartland first and they said not to do it because there is no backing for them. A good wind could rip them out.
While we would have liked to have them we decided not to take a chance.

JohnDar

I won't dispute their warning (more of a C.T.A.), but our large window awning has been on for two summers and endured some pretty good winds. Some where I pulled in the main electric awning and left the window awning out. No problems, all fasteners are secure.

Heck, there's no real backing for the main awning, either, but they put them on.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I want pics too. We have some nice leftover stock cloth ones that I've been eyeballing at work. I'd have to buy the hardware kits, but the awnings are NC. The only thing stopping me is that as a rule, I won't let Ray drill holes in the trailer. LOL

JohnDar

Pics, naturally, but it may be a while until it warms up. Right now we're getting the remnants of the northern fringe of the storm that rocked the Midwest. Very breezy and cold. But I think I'll place the order in the next couple of days for the materials.

3/4/2012: Placed the order, delivery in 2 - 3 weeks. Should be decent enough weather (??) by then to put it on.

Last edited: