Edge M21 & Totota Sienna minivan

JanRooks

Edge 21 interior rear2.jpgIMG_1549 at check in.JPGIMG_1548.jpg
Pulling an Edge M21 with a minivan. After pulling an Apache camper at 1800 lbs. for 22 years and a Trailmanor 3023 weighing 3020 lbs. for 3 years, we were blown away by the Edge M21 design and complete list of standard features at a Detroit area RV show in the fall of 2010. The big sign said “I only weigh 3439 lbs.” I knew from past trailer experience that propane bottles and battery weight were not included. After doing research on the M21 components I ordered the M21 from the Harland factory without the Carefree awning to save 80 lbs. vs a Fiamma awning and still be towed by the Toyota Sienna with load equalizing bars.
The axle weight before our St. Pete Florida trip was 3460 lbs. The extra wheel, lawn chairs, table and trailer set up stuff were carried in the back of the minivan. The M21 has also been taken to Muskegon and Caseville, MI.
We have owned 3 minivans because they get good gas mileage, The Sienna gets 24 mph highway alone and 13 mpg with the M21. It got 18 with the Trailmanor, which is difficult to get into if you need a bathroom on road.
I will discuss improvements to the interior in the other forums.

Speedy

In your third picture your setup seems to be quite nose high; any way you can increase he lift on your weight distribution hitch? I would think running in that configuration you have decreased your front braking capacity.

PeternLiane

Looks like a nice set up. I run my North Trail with a Toyota Tacoma. It works great. I agree you might be able to adjust the weight distribution hitch for a more level ride. I will be interested in the improvements that you've made. I hope that you had/have a great time on your trip to Florida.

JanRooks

"I learned how to put the equalizer bars on with the trailer latch still above the ball of the hitch; then lower the jackstand leaving the van level.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I would agree that in the last photo the van looks nose high. Could be you need to move some of the gear in the back of the van to the rear of the trailer. When I pulled a TT with an Avalanche, I lowered the trailer until it was just covering the ball, put on the bars/chains, which pulled them together, and then raised the jack. As mentioned, you might want to try moving which link you're hooking on the equalizer chains.

Jimmie-Kay

I'm not sure if Firestone makes airbags for your Toyota Van but if you could get a pair of airbags to install on the rear of your van, you could raise the rear of your van to be level and eliminate the need for the WD hitch. I have used air bags on several vehicles and it works and has worked great.

pegmikef

I use an EZ-Lift WD Hitch and per the instructions and my experience pulling an Edge M21 and North Trail, the height of the ball in relation to the tongue ball cup is critical for leveling. The manual for the hitch specifies that the ball height should be 1/8 of an inch higher than the ball cup for each hundred pounds of tongue weight and I have always rounded up a hundred pounds. This height has worked with both trailers on my F150 and F250. I always grease the ball and the torsion bars (as per WD hitch manual). I always lock the ball cup then raise the tongue and truck together and then install the chains. Then I raise the jack which lowers both the truck and trailer. On my F150 and Edge it was the third link down for both to be level and on the F250 and North Trail it is the first link (F250 is considerable higher than the 1/2 ton).