Tire separating after 200 miles , Power King Towmaster

wrgrs50s

After reading the thread titled Power King Towmaster Tires, I decided to look closely at all my tires and was hoping I wouldnt be one of the ones having problems, especially this soon. I have only pulled about 4 times since purchasing my 2012 Sundance 277RL, all trips were close to where I live. To my surprise I already have a tire seperating. I noticed that one of the post 57chevyconvt stated that he got $600 from Tredit tire towards purchasing a new set of Maxxis at Discount Tire. I am hoping for a similar result as I am afraid of the others separating in the near future and causing the kind of damage I've read about. I would greatly appreciate anyone with knowledgeable information on the proper procedure to follow with Tredit Tire to respond to this post with advice, as It appears that others with these tires may also be interested. The tires are 225/75/15 Power King Towmaster D rated. I will attempt to post pics of the tire.

Thanks for a great forum,
Walter RogersView attachment 18047View attachment 18048
Scurry, Tx

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Tire seperating after 200 miles , Power King Towmaster

Your pictures don't look good...except for the last one.
About the only thing you can do is give Tredit a call. Explain the situation and offer to email the pics to them.
Tredit Tire
(800) 537-2925

Peace
Davehttp://www.tredittire.com/

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Here's another Tredit contact: Tim Ball, VP of Sales & Marketing, 574-293-0581. He was a presenter at the 2011 Goshen Rally, I spoke with him briefly after his talk, and he seemed like a straight shooter.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

We sent pics to Tredit... They sent a new tire. After more had issues, we sent pics of two deemed defective by our tire repair shop, and asked for compensation instead. The sent us a check for $230 for two tires. We replaced all 5 with Maxxis. I have the new replacement TowMax still sitting in the garage. Thinking its only good for a tire-swing!

E

wrgrs50s

Thanks to all that replied, especially all the info from 57chevyconvt who sent me a private message with the procedures he used with his Towmax tire failures. As it stands now, Tredit referred me to TBC in Memphis and they referred me to a local dealer in Kaufman, Tx to verify the tire failure is a warranty issue. The dealer said that although he does not sell or recommend the Power King Towmax due to the high failure rate, he can attempt to get an allowance for the bad tire towards a set of Maxxis for me. He stated that it is more likely that they will want to send a replacement tire instead. I am seriously considering the Maxxis E-rated 15 whether they offer an allowance or not. I will be taking the tire in tomorrow to find out what they offer.
On another note:
I tried to return a response to the private message I received, but was unable to determine if I responded correctly, hope I can learn how to do that for future use.
I enjoy checking the forum daily,
Walter

tireman9

Did you file a complaint with NHTSA? When you do you should include the pictures. While you have received compensation you haven't done anything to help fellow RV owners who may have similar problems. If properly loaded and inflated 200 miles would to me indicate a high probability of a manufacturing problem which means there are others out there.

You may want to read my post on China Tires and the one on Why bad tires are on the road.

GOTTOYS

It just doesn't seem right that we have to allow for the price of a replacement set of tires when we purchase a new trailer. These junk tires shouldn't be allowed into this country..JMHO..Don

brianharrison

did you file a complaint with nhtsa? When you do you should include the pictures. While you have received compensation you haven't done anything to help fellow rv owners who may have similar problems. If properly loaded and inflated 200 miles would to me indicate a high probability of a manufacturing problem which means there are others out there.

You may want to read my post on china tires and the one on why bad tires are on the road.

great info!

57chevyconvt

Tireman9 (Dave), Good info. I had two TowMax tires fail due to tread separation after ~3,000 miles. The failure was not due to improper inflation or overload. I pay very close attention to both of these tire failure contributing factors. I received reimbursement credit from Tredit for four tire. I moved on to replace all five tires with GY G614's. Never thought about filing a complaint with NHTSA, but now recognize that should have been done. I posted some of my observations with pictures as to the mode of failure. The GY G614 tire weighs almost twice a much as the TowMax tire, should say something as to the quality of the tire?

Wmnmy

I have about 2,200 miles on my towmasters and I am starting to see separation like the tread is separating and uneven spots on three tires did you guys contact tredit directly or did you call your dealers first.

TedS

wrgrs50s, are you describing the unequal tread spacing as tread separation? All 5 of my 16" tires look like that, the outer treads are spaced farther from the inside treads than the inside treads are from each other. I accepted that as just their tread design. Have had no problems after nearly 4000 miles.

Wmnmy

My 16s look like that also but on the edge it's separating like I'm gonna loose the tread in a complete circle .

Wmnmy

Not dealing with these crappy tires getting new good years this week we shouldn't have to jump through hoops to be safe ... I apologize for taking over thread but I have a cyclone with no toys just a wife two dogs never have been overloaded or even close I check my tires every trip at gas stops and when stored and I have had my rig for 1 year and 6 months ..... I'll make my family safe thanks for letting me vent this just struck a nerve lol.... I still love my cyclone would not have any other sob .....

GOTTOYS

I have not seen anyone complain about the 16" tires yet......
Well I guess you've seen several complaints now. I took mine off when it was new and mounted up a set of LT truck tires. 10,000 trouble free miles and counting...Don

wrgrs50s

wrgrs50s, are you describing the unequal tread spacing as tread separation? All 5 of my 16" tires look like that, the outer treads are spaced farther from the inside treads than the inside treads are from each other. I accepted that as just their tread design. Have had no problems after nearly 4000 miles.
If you click on the pictures I posted and enlarge them you will notice that the tire is swollen and distorted on the inside edge by about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. I took it to the recommended tire dealer which returned it to the distributor and I received a $96.00 adjustment for that tire. I used that amount toward purchasing 4 Maxxis even though the other tires appeared ok. I was uncomfortable with the Towmax tires as I've seen so many post's of failures. Hope you continue to have good luck with yours.

sjs731

After all these stories and pictures, I have opted to not get into a situation with my Towmax tires. Tomorrow my new set of Goodyear Marathon tires is going on. 235/80 R16 Load Range E. Goodyear is discounting these tires my dealer told me. The quote I got the other day is $120 less then the last time I called. I will feel better when the Chinese junk is off my 5er.

Bob Vaughn

After all these stories and pictures, I have opted to not get into a situation with my Towmax tires. Tomorrow my new set of Goodyear Marathon tires is going on. 235/80 R16 Load Range E. Goodyear is discounting these tires my dealer told me. The quote I got the other day is $120 less then the last time I called. I will feel better when the Chinese junk is off my 5er.
Before you let them install these tires you better check because goodyear was making them in China when I went to get new tires for my TT......