News Story: Chrysler, G.M. Preparing Natural Gas Powered Pickups

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Yep - check out that enormous 7650 lb towing capacity. It's sure to be a hit with the folks who would normally buy a 3/4/ ton - just saying, you know.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Only strong men (or women) can buy and drive a CNG vehicle. Why, because you have to be strong to be able to push the CNG vehicle to the next CNG filling station as they are so far apart. :)

Seriously that sounds like a great concept but it will never work until there are enough CNG filling stations to make it work. Kind of like driving an electric vehicle with no place to plug it in to recharge it.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I saw somewhere that the GM Duramax was going to be offered in a dual fuel model, LNG/Diesel. But for the life of me I can not find it anywhere. Maybe I was dreaming.

Kevin

boatto5er

I saw somewhere that the GM Duramax was going to be offered in a dual fuel model, LNG/Diesel. But for the life of me I can not find it anywhere. Maybe I was dreaming.

Kevin
One other article I saw said CNG/gasoline (8 gal aux tank). Not exactly a strong selling point.

wdk450

Only strong men (or women) can buy and drive a CNG vehicle. Why, because you have to be strong to be able to push the CNG vehicle to the next CNG filling station as they are so far apart. :)

Seriously that sounds like a great concept but it will never work until there are enough CNG filling stations to make it work. Kind of like driving an electric vehicle with no place to plug it in to recharge it.

Jim:
Check this map: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/fuels/natural_gas_locations.html

Why is Texas so far behind California?

Both manufacturers are going dual fuel. Flying J's have committed to have CNG/LNG at all of their truckstops ASAP as the trucker fleets are converting. I can't see Pilot and Love's lagging behind on this.

jmgratz

Don't know why Texas is so far behind California. Maybe it has something to do with all of the environmental restraints in California. I do know I would want to be totally sure of the safety aspects of the CNG vehicles. Every see the results of a CNG explosion versus a Gasoline one. I have and dont want to be anywhere within miles of either. But we shall see how it all pans out. Me personally, I will hold out for a wind powered vehicles. Just put a big propeller on the front and not only will the propeller generate the electricity but it could pull you down the road. :)

boatto5er

Jim:
Check this map: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/fuels/natural_gas_locations.html

Why is Texas so far behind California?

Both manufacturers are going dual fuel. Flying J's have committed to have CNG/LNG at all of their truckstops ASAP as the trucker fleets are converting. I can't see Pilot and Love's lagging behind on this.

The other problem is accessibility. Of the 11 in Virginia, only three have public access. The other 8 are government or private business use only.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders

This reminded me that WA State passed a new tax on electric vehicles. Seems they weren't using gas and the state was afraid of loosing the tax revenue. Makes me think they will do the same for CNG come the day!

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
This reminded me that WA State passed a new tax on electric vehicles. Seems they weren't using gas and the state was afraid of loosing the tax revenue. Makes me think they will do the same for CNG come the day!
I would fully expect that we would see a road tax on any type of fuel - that is the only way we currently have for maintaining our Roads.

Other than Tolls that is ...

Last edited:

wdk450

Steve:
Here in Sacramento there was just a story on the news about a County Parking garage with about 20 spaces for electric vehicle charging that people say never get used!!! No other vehicles can park in these spots, and electric vehicles get free parking, to boot.

bill40

Don't know why Texas is so far behind California. Maybe it has something to do with all of the environmental restraints in California. I do know I would want to be totally sure of the safety aspects of the CNG vehicles. Every see the results of a CNG explosion versus a Gasoline one. I have and dont want to be anywhere within miles of either. But we shall see how it all pans out. Me personally, I will hold out for a wind powered vehicles. Just put a big propeller on the front and not only will the propeller generate the electricity but it could pull you down the road. :)

And it would help keep the bugs off the windshield.:rolleyes:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
CNG filling stations will be right up there in popularity with the hydrogen stations. Can you hear the "not in my backyard" chorus?

jmgratz

On 2nd thought why not an electric propeller on a car. It could work like an air boat. Just a little noisy though, but not much noisier than a Dodge diesel pickup:)

wdk450

Yesterday, my investment advisory said that right now a volume of natural gas with the energy equivilant of a barrel of oil ($125) is selling for $2.88.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I could also see the auto makers putting holes in the driver's seats and telling you to fill up at Taco Bell. The new vehicles will run on "natural" gas. Want premium performance? Eat broccoli.

Somewhere in my training materials I have a Powerpoint of a CNG tank in a car exploding while parked in a lot. Demolished the original vehicle and several around it.