Leveling with 3 axles-newbie to leveling trailers

porthole

Retired
Re: Leveling with 3 axles-newbiel to leveling trailers-maybe not the right forum, move if need be

I do have some experience in leveling my motorhome however we just upgraded to a cyclone 3800. This toy hauler has 3 axles. Asking for the seasoned 5th wheelers for advice on what to use to level the trailer.

Since you had a motor home I am going to guess you already know the answer, and it involves fluid and pumps.

But since you don't,

are boards or are the brightly colored plastic blocks easiest or what. I assume all 3 tires on the side of the trailer you are attempting to raise need to be supported.

You do need to keep all three wheels the same. I had used the yellow blocks. Had some left over from my TT and ended up buying several more bags of them. They worked OK, but our trailer is only 2 axles.
If I had to do it again I would probably just stick to the boards. 2x10 long enough to go 2' past the last tire (front or back, either direction, only need the ramp on one side). Then three more boards each 6" shorter.
Each board cut with a 45 degree on one end.

All the boards stacked and loosely drilled for 1/2" carriage bolts. Couple different bolt lengths and you will have a ramp that will give you 6" of lift on one side.

You could try short boards, but i found they tend to kick out too easy.

Also on the subject of chocking. Are blocks in front and behind the best bet or the nice cam lever chocks between the tires the best?

I have tried a few different types. I ended up using the solid rubber chocks, I use 4 (when I use them). Only need two on each side.
The chocks that expand between the tires - forget it. I had those, experimented with those. Put them in, put the truck in gear, foot off the brake and they both popped out. Just don't think they are made for anything other then a lighter weight trailer.

The chocks that you put on the ground and expand, would probably be OK on solid packed gravel or pavement, but on loose soil I would think they would have a tendency to "sink in".

Do I really need a storage cubbie to look like a shelf at the lumber yard?

Not really, the LevelUp controller takes up about as much room as a paperback, and you won't get any splinters :rolleyes:
Sorry, couldn't resist, best thing I did to the trailer was the LevelUp and power cord rewind reel.

sdrubrecht

Re: Leveling with 3 axles-newbiel to leveling trailers-maybe not the right forum, move if need be

X2 to what Duane said. I've made the 2x10 leveler also and it works like a champ. I only use 2 large rubber chocks. Level up system would be nice, but not in the cards for us right now.

brianharrison

X3 with Duane comments.

To augment, I have cut the ends of the 2x10s to 45 angle, and progressive stacked boards are about 3 inch shorter (1 1/2 each end) to allow top of lower board 45 angle to align with toe of upper board 45 degree. I use cordless drill to drive wood screws into board to hold stacked boards together. 2' wood screws for two boards; 3 inch for 3 boards (yes i counter sink a bit, for those doing the math).

Take care,
Brian

readytohitheroad

Pardon my ignorance but why are the boards and chocks necessary? I thought if a trailer has a 6 point leveling system you just use this to level/support the trailer and you are done.

brianharrison

Pardon my ignorance but why are the boards and chocks necessary? I thought if a trailer has a 6 point leveling system you just use this to level/support the trailer and you are done.

No pardon required.... However the OP did say "short of using hydralics to lift the trailer -are boards or are the brightly colored plastic blocks easiest or what"

So I assume he does not have the 6 point.....

Take care,
Brian