Cherry Hill RV Park in College Park, Md

Peteandsharon

Hey guys,

We are considering a DC excursion this summer. We are considering using Cherry Hill RV Park in College Park, MD. as a base for seeing the DC area. They seem to be a good park although a bit pricey. Has anyone done such an excursion? Any comments on the park or the use of the public transportation to the Washington DC attractions? RVPARKREVIEWS.com seemed to be pretty positiive but a bit short on details. Any real life experiences - good or bad - would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

DougAndJudy

We were there this past summer. The park is a bit pricey - $60/night when we were there - but they will deduct 10% for Good Sam (still pricey....) The park offers an introductory seminar about the area and ways to use the public transportation each afternoon. They also offer tickets for all the public transportation, including the Metro and Gray Line tours, right at the park, across from the office. We found it very helpful and useful. We caught a Gray Line tour of Alexandria and Mount Vernon right from the park.

The nearest Metro station is about 5 miles away and is an easy drive if you don't want to use the public busses to the station. The Metro will take you right into the center of DC. All in all it was a good experience.

A side note - there is a snack bar by the pools that has a good selection of freshly made burgers and sandwiches that are real reasonably priced... and they are generous with their ice cream scoops, too!

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
We had a rally there last. The park is nice very clean and the access to Wasington can't be beat.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We too have visited Cherry Hill Park for touring the Capitol. We chose to ride the bus directly from camp to the Metro Rail station to avoid having to park our truck in an unknown neighborhood. The entire process was painless and a great way to get into DC.

We have been to this campground on 3 seperate occasions and loved every visit. Price was about the same as Jersey camping in season so we're used to it and there is a lot to be said for the touring convenience associated with that cost. After walking around DC all day the hot tub was a welcome comfort!

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We had a wonderful time at Cherry Hill last year. Very easy to get to. We did the 2 day Red Line tour that leaves Union Station every 20 minutes. We loved this tour. It was a little pricey, but well worth it. The tour breaks down DC into 3 different sections which are marked on the front of each double decker bus (Red, Yellow, and Blue). Each tour has about 20-30 stops at different attractions throughout DC. You can get on and off as you please. Stay 20 minutes or 3 hours, it does not matter. A new bus stops every 20 minutes. Cherry Hill has a bus stop right in the campground. We did more sight seeing than I ever thought we would do and there was no pressure, just sit down, read the map and off you go. We wanted to "see" DC, not learn to drive in it. We would do it again. We plan on it.

Jamie

Peteandsharon

Thanks guys. That is some good information. The pricey part is pretty much unavoidable so you either do it or find another way to travel. Still better than a hotel. I like the fact that you can stay as long as you like at an attraction and then just catch the next bus. Very nice way to tour. It is my understanding that the park also has a dog walking service. They will take your fellow traveller out during the day??? Have any of you used this service? Do you actually leave your key with them and they come to your rig and get the dog? That sounds pretty good if I have it right?

porthole

Retired
We also stayed at Cherry Hill last year. Price is relative, your just outside DC where everything is overpriced.

We didn't get to do the tour. But, I have toured DC by vehicle and motorcycle and I think as others have found out, the bus ride is the best. You can always go by car after the fact at the slim chance the bus tour missed something you are interested in.

shovelguy

We were in Cherry Hill in 2010. Nice park. Convenient transportation into the city. The only problem, it was TOO HOT! Too hot to be a tourist anywhere.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We stayed in Cherry Hill in July 2010. It is a nice park and would stay there again. However we stayed in site 602 which is a pull through. Don't stay in a pull through, they are small and close compared to the back-in sites. Also as they state in their office, Don't leave your awning out when you leave the park. They often have strong winds that damage awnngs. This is a fact, because I lost our awning for the same reason.

I am including a campground map for your use.

2010-07-19 Cherry Hill Campground Site Map.jpg

BC

meandg

crawgator
We were there the same time as TXBobcat and even had a visit together. We drove to the metro one day and the next I dropped DH and DS off. All was good. I would stay there again but will say it was a busy park.

Last Year we went to DC.....Stayed @ Cedarville State Park, 10 days. It was wonderful...... drove to the Metro station and took it into DC. Also stayed in Cherry Hill 2011, found it pretty pricey, It was nice to be able to hop a buss to the metro station from the campground. Hi to all and thanks for the chance to participate in this group!!!!

danemayer

Last Year we went to DC.....Stayed @ Cedarville State Park, 10 days. It was wonderful...... drove to the Metro station and took it into DC. Also stayed in Cherry Hill 2011, found it pretty pricey, It was nice to be able to hop a buss to the metro station from the campground. Hi to all and thanks for the chance to participate in this group!!!!
Hi chestnut3333,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a lot of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people. Thanks for contributing to the discussion.

I guess i'm a Cheapskate........I like to go, but I want a good deal....We Like State parks. I have to admit, we this year moved up in size.... from a 16 ft Scamp to a 2011 TrailRunner.....I will never get rid of my Scamp, soo easy to hitch and pull, but wanted more room. I am kind of shy about taking this bigger trailer out by myself. I am 62 yo, and have been camping all my life. Last year had a blowout on the trailer, traffic side of the trailer!!!! Scared the Carp out of me... So needless to say I'm a real chicken....I do realize that stuff happens, but......I have a question.... We have duel wheels on the TR, If one blows, will the other Keep it upright? Thanks again, And we made friends at Cedarville SP, If anyone goes please say HI to Daniel!!!!

danemayer

If you have 2 axles, and one tire loses air, you need to stop and fix it. While the trailer may seem stable enough to continue, the remaining tire, wheel, and axle will be seriously overloaded on that side. If you keep going, you could damage those components. Some of the damage might not show up immediately. But who wants to deal with a bent axle, cracked wheel, or future blowout?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TXTiger

I am heading to Washington DC following the Rally in Gettysberg to attend the Rolling Thunder ride (on my Harley) to the VietNam Wall Memorial Day weekend and have made a reservation at Cherry Hill RV Park. This will be my first time at Cherry Hill but not my first time at Rolling Thunder.

Wmnmy

We stayed at cherry hill last October in 2012 loved it nice spots pricey but worth it clean and the bus pick you up at the entrance and take you to redline even on Sunday we visited Arlington cemetary and down town easy to follow roads are bait small except going to and leaving campground we had the time of our life .

thinkie10

We are going one night a month ago returning from florida and it really is a beautiful campground. We want to return this summer to visit Washington.