Took the big jump and went to 17.5 wheels and "J" rated tires

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Wheels and Tires

Well, my replacement tire were getting a little old (purchased new in 2005). So decided to jump up to 17.5's and add some "J" rated rubber. Real nice wheels and tire combo. Now come on summer, I can not wait to see how they handle.

lwmcguir

We sure like them on the heavier non Dually trailers. Augusta actually seems to tow easier although it handles well on the G's as well. The part I like is the 17.5 series very rarely blow out. Knock on wood, we have worn most of them down to the cords over the years with no problems at all. Good luck with yours as well.

Last edited:

CrazyCooter

Nice! Can't wait to get mine so I can quit worrying and wondering when the Tow Masters will pop!

What size/brand of wheels and tires? Pics?!

cpl0199

tell me about the reico ground control. is 6 point or 4 point. electric or hydraluic. did you install and where did you purchase

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Duane
I have been busy moving. I will post some pix at a later time I promise. Now that the time change, I may actual see the house in the daytime.

CPL0199

The ground control is a four point setup, all electric and it bolts on (not welded). Yes, I installed the system, not real hard to do. Really like it, should have done this years ago. Fast setup and take down. You're in control and it is nice to use also when hitching. Can control the jacks from the driver's sit

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have been thinking on getting 17.5" tires and wheels also. If you don't have pictures how about listing the rims and tires mfgr, product number and a link so we can look them up.

Is there a difference in diameter from the tires you were using and the J's. I was looking at Micheln J tires. They don't make a G rated in 16". We have been using XPS Ribs and have only had one failure and I am not sure it was all the tire's fault. All others have been doing well.

BC

CrazyCooter

The 215/75R17.5's are almost the same size as the 235/80r16's and come in various LR's. Most use this size as it is a direct swap.

I'm considering the Alcoa's with 235/75/17.5 Sumitomo 727's for just a touch more ground clearance. I lifted my rig 5er and still need more bed clearance. The 235 J's have a stupid weight rating due to size.

Not much available in an high capacity E or G 16" other than an over rated ST tire. That's why so many are moving to 17.5".

If I had a 3 axle rig, I could get away with 16's.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Wheels and TiresWell, my replacement tire were getting a little old (purchased new in 2005). So decided to jump up to 17.5's and add some "J" rated rubber. Real nice wheels and tire combo. Now come on summer, I can not wait to see how they handle.
Look at Jim.......Pimpin his ride. I'm sure Cheryl knows how to operate that camera of yours.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I have been thinking on getting 17.5" tires and wheels also. If you don't have pictures how about listing the rims and tires mfgr, product number and a link so we can look them up.

Is there a difference in diameter from the tires you were using and the J's. I was looking at Micheln J tires. They don't make a G rated in 16". We have been using XPS Ribs and have only had one failure and I am not sure it was all the tire's fault. All others have been doing well.

BC

Bob
I replaced the set of Michelin XPS ribs that I purchased back in 2005. The XPS ribs are a good tire and I have not had any problems with them. I plan to reuse them on my car trailer. The overall diameter of the XTA's are a little over an inch smaller, however they don't flatten out as much as the Ribs due to the higher load rating. The following is a link to the Michelin page.

http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/tires-retreads/tireInfo.do?tread=XTA

Attachments

• XTA.pdf
    38 KB · Views: 60

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
The overall diameter of the XTA's are a little over an inch smaller, however they don't flatten out as much as the Ribs due to the higher load rating. The following is a link to the Michelin page.
http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/tires-retreads/tireInfo.do?tread=XTA

Those J tires sure have a great weight rating! I am surprised at the low max speed though...not that I tow like to tow fast but 55 mph seems low. Pricey too. The cheapest I could find was $450.00 per tire...is that correct?

dieselengineer

Charter Member
The xps ribs (LT235/85R16) have a maximum speed rating of 75 mph. The XTA 215/75R17.5 have a maximum speed rating of 62 mph. So I slow down a little, not a bad thing. However the good thing, the XTA,s are rated to carry an additional 1763 pounds of weight. That is an addition of 3.5 tons of camping stuff or better rally food. (I can only wish).

porthole

Retired

BC

Bob here is a good colection of wheels. This is where I purchased my wheels and tires.

17.5" wheels
http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/site/1284278/page/910782

I have these and really like they way they look.
http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/site/1284278/product/0777865

The tire page does not list individual tires
http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/site/1284278/page/2686443

This shop moves a lot of tire and wheel assemblies.

I got the Goodyear G114's. The combo was right around $500 each, mounted, balanced (Equal) and installed.

BC1of38

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...-tire-upgrade-(need-your-opinions)?highlight=

lots of info here when I did mine. Info on speed ratings, weight ratings, etc.

congrats! Best upgrade I ever did