Tire brand?

taken

What brand of tires are the current RW's being delivered with? Just wondering if I'm going to need to upgrade out of the gate or if I'll be ok for a while...

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
whatever it is you can bet it is the lowest bid. I believe you can upgrade to G614 as an option.

brianharrison

The standard tires from factory meet the minimum requirements for the coach; they are E rated ST tires. I am not sure of the brand name, and the factory has the flexibility of selecting a new one without restrictions. That being said, some question the quality and quality control of previous tires that have come on HL units (foreign made). On the larger 5vers, I would not hesitate to upgrade to Goodyear G614's from factory. The increased rating (G rated) is well worth the "insurance" against possible blow out and trailer damage due to flying rubber. You more than likely have already thought of this, hence your question.......

As mentioned in other threads a good tire pressure monitorins system (after OEM - like TST 507) adds another level of insurance and peace of mind.

Some members have also upgraded to 17.5" tires AND rims, but this is more cost than just the factory upgrade option of G614s.

Hope this helps,
Brian

taken

Well, it's already built and just got delivered to the dealer so I can't do the factory upgrade at this point. I may just order some Maxxis and be done with it. I'm sure the new take offs can be sold on craigslist. I can get the Maxxis for $165 delivered. I wish on a coach this expensive, they would just use decent tires in the first place. At their cost it would probably be in the area of $200 per unit to use Maxxis tires instead of the garbage Tow Max or whatever. Would seem to be good policy as warranty repair from the blowouts will surly cost more that that. Oh well....

brianharrison

Well, it's already built and just got delivered to the dealer so I can't do the factory upgrade at this point. I may just order some Maxxis and be done with it. I'm sure the new take offs can be sold on craigslist. I can get the Maxxis for $165 delivered. I wish on a coach this expensive, they would just use decent tires in the first place. At their cost it would probably be in the area of $200 per unit to use Maxxis tires instead of the garbage Tow Max or whatever. Would seem to be good policy as warranty repair from the blowouts will surly cost more that that. Oh well....

I guess it comes down to your definition of "decent tire" and what is important for you. I do not want to get involved in a debate over this or that manufactuer of tires.

Proper maintenance, care, and prevention - ie correct alignment, not overloading, proper inflation, monitoring operating temps, etc will go a long way to help prevent a tire failure.

I am unsure but I doubt if HL warranty would cover damage from a blowout, unless it could be determined with certainty the tire had a manufacturing defect. Even then, I am unsure. The OEM tire manufacturer would replace the tire, but I beleive your own insurance would cover the damage to the trailer, if it covered said damages. My thoughts.

Brian

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
For what it's worth, look at the tires on any other cost comparable brands of RV and see what tires you get. Probably the same or a comparable rated tire. Just sayin...

taken

I agree with both of you. Warranty probably won't do much accept replace the tire and yes, all the big manufacturers are using the cheapest of the cheap tires out there. I would go with some Michelin XPS Rib's but they aren't rated high enough for a 7k axle. I also don't want to change my rims, so if I bought the Goodyears, I could only inflate to 80 psi and at that rate they are only rated to 3040. No good there. So, I'm down to ST tires and the only brand out there worth anything is Maxxis. Now I just have to decide if I should wait till the China bombs fail or just get it over with now and avoid any possible damage that a blow out may cause. For $650, I'll probably just buy them and be done with it. I wish I knew about the Goodyear from the factory option when ordering the trailer! Hidden options are only a sweet find if you find them before ordering....