trailer hub failure

Ray55

I noticed unusuall wear on the back tires. Took it to the dealer to have axles, hubs checked they said it all checked out ok. Put on new tires. Now am sitting waiting on a tow truck to take me to a repair shop. Bearing on back right axle is gone. Wheel wobbly very hot.

Anyone else have this problem. Got the 2012 model trailer in October 2011. Less than 3 thousand miles total. 2500 or so since the dealer and there axle/suspension shop said it was ok.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: trailer hub failer

If you have wear on the two back tires, there may be an allignment or suspension problem. Or, is your trailer sitting level when you are hitched up? Nose high could contribute to rear tire wear.
If the dealer checked everything, he should have had the hub off to check bearings. If that is the case I would have a talk with him about how he put it back together.
Just a couple of thoughts.

Peace
Dave

GOTTOYS

I noticed unusuall wear on the back tires. Took it to the dealer to have axles, hubs checked they said it all checked out ok. Put on new tires. Now am sitting waiting on a tow truck to take me to a repair shop. Bearing on back right axle is gone. Wheel wobbly very hot.

Anyone else have this problem. Got the 2012 model trailer in October 2011. Less than 3 thousand miles total. 2500 or so since the dealer and there axle/suspension shop said it was ok.
Sounds to me like the Dealer failed before the hub failed. No grease or loose or overtightened bearing could cause this, any of which could have been prevented with a proper inspection...JMHO...Don

h2o373k

I would suspect the dealer cause the failure. I had to stop a RV repair person while he was tighten the axle bearing nut with a large air impact gun.
Uneven tire wear can also be caused by the tire construction and their may be no alignment problems. (poor quality tire)

TeJay

Even if I were only mildly mechanically talented I believe I would pay to have someone show me the correct way to: adjust brake shoes, rotate tires, torque lug nuts, and most importantly R&R wheel bearings, races, pack bearings and correctly adjust the bearing clearance. From what I've read over the last two years these 7 items are the least understood, yet most important aspect of our rigs. If any of these items are not performed correctly we may be headed for a bad and expensive experience. I have posted several times regarding these items only because I want to help others avoid serious problems. I am not bragging when I say that I know how to do this stuff. There are many others on these forums who also have this knowledge and any of us would be glad to share in what ever way we can. If you're in my area of the country call me and I'll show you how to do it. I also just recently heard of an ASE certified tech that was impacting the wheel bearing nut onto the axle.
Happy Motoring
TeJay

Manzan

Last September we had a problem with the wear on our RR tire mostly. Inside edge worn down to the cords. 3800 miles on the tire. LR worn also as were the tires on the front axle. Turned out the bearings on the RR were shot and both axles were bent. Now have two new axles and five new tires. Thank You Lippert for taking care of this.

Ray55

I had a new axle installed by Fleet Maint. of Texas, loated in Austin Texas, now have a few hundred miles on it and it appears to have solved my problems. Old axle had a slight bend in it near the right end of it. Very close to the right rear tire. This is the hub taht completly failed and lost a bearing.

Pulled hubs on the front axle and inspected greased them. Apper to be fine. 3 Tires look brand new. Will have to replace the 4th that was on the right rear. For now running the spare tire the trailer came with.

I will not be going back to the dealer I purchased the unit from and took it too when I first noticed the problem.

Except for the cabinet doors popping there hindges (had to repair all hidges on every door) the only other problem I have had is the hanging/sliding wooden doors. The back hanger keeps coming off. I now have one boken. Heading to the hardware store to investigate heavier hardware. Also thinking about using a block under door or a retaining pin when traveling to help keep door from moving when traveling.

On the cabinet doors the tension screw on the hidges is set too tight. (The screw in the cabinet side of the hidge. First screw towards the front. Back screw get as tight as you can. ) Remove the hindge from the door- put some silicon glue in the holes (two screw holes and the large round hole holding the body of the hindg, reattach hidge to door let dry, then re-install door with tension screw set lower. Doors will stay closed but will not have as much tension (closing force). Door will not fall off cabinet when the hidge is pulled out of the door when you try to open it.

Rodbuster

TeJay, I really wish that I lived closer to you to take you up on your offer. I would travel 200 miles with my rig if I could find somebody to teach me the things that you mentioned in your post, and then take the husband and his wife out to a nice dinner.
I would be the all around winner. I'd pick up valuable knowledge that would save me money in the long run, I would have the satisfaction of knowing that the job was done right because I did it and I would have the great pleasure of making 2 new friends. All this for the price of a meal....yup, I'd be the winner.

Tejay, when are you coming to Florida?lol I've got everything you need right on the property... water, 50/30 Amp and even cable.

Dick

pegmikef

I would suspect the dealer cause the failure. I had to stop a RV repair person while he was tighten the axle bearing nut with a large air impact gun.
Uneven tire wear can also be caused by the tire construction and their may be no alignment problems. (poor quality tire)

Can the uneven tire wear be caused when tires aren't properly balanced? I see no weights on any of my rims, but in 10k miles have one tire that the wear looks uneven on the outside. Everything else seems ok.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

I have my trailer wheels balanced for the same reasons that I balance my truck and car wheels. For even wear and a smoother ride.
Lack of balance will contribute to tire wear.

Peace
Dave

caissiel

After observing the movement of the tires and spring hardware, while passing a trailer, I do not regret balancing my tires. I installed good used tires on my service trailer and the tech told me why I wanted it balanced on my trailer. I told him I wanted to.protect the load, a gazebo kit worth $5k every time I do a delivery.
Our units are worth much more so why not protect the trailer and the spring hardware.