Project Complete!

J

Jeff

Hello Everyone:

Just me, one of your trusty Heartland Administrator(s).

Anyway, finished my Generator Storage Project today.

Haven't road tested it yet, but I think she'll ride OK.

Below is a set of pictures for your viewing enjoyment.

Listing:

1.) Platform for Genny to be tied down too.

2.) Self tapping screws hold bracket to floor, to keep platform from sliding around.

3.) Ramps to get Genny into compartment. Thank goodness for large doors.

4.) New Yamaha 3000 Genny. One great Little machine and worth every penny.

5.) Side power panel. Plenty of plugs and comes with an RV Adapter for 30Amp plug.

6.) Genny up and in place.

7.) :D All tied down!

Got questions, just let me know. This is one nice Generator!!

You all take Care.

Jeff

Gary F

Is your Generator tri or bi fuel and does this unit have enough juice to run your coach as if you were shore connected ?

I like the compact size and appearance of the Yamaha generators. I'm just now starting to research these for my RV'ing use.

Thanks Jeff for posting your installation.

Last edited:
J

Jeff

Yamaha Genny!

Hi Gary:

Unfortunately the Yamaha is Gasoline only. I had hoped to put in a LP unit, but they are just too costly.

Anyway, when hooked up to a 30 Amp adapter, and having the Genny running full load, she will run the A/C, Refer., all power in the coach and both TV's without a "Burp" You only notice a little hesitation when the A/C first kicks in, but otherwise, she just runs smooth as can be.

Now, I won't try running the Washer/Dryer, since that pulls just too much Wattage, I could turn off the A/C, that would allow you to wash, but not Dry anything, since the Dryer draws 5400 Watts.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Let me know if you want any more information.

Take Care.

Jeff

nemo45

I have a Yamaha EF2800i which I store in practically the same place in my Open Road 357RLDS-5. It doesn't have wheels and the compartment is just deep enough that I could put it in with the longest dimension going front to back. So, I didn't have to build a rack like you did. It only weighs 64# dry so I didn't have any problems lifting it over the lip of the compartment by myself. I did lay a blanket over the lip, just in case. The 2800 will run the 15,000 BTU A/C on low, the microwave and the refrig together, I have tried that. I have also run the 15,000 BTU A/C on a 20 amp circuit from my shed on low without tripping it, but if I turned it up to high it would trip the breaker. The 2800 came with a 30 amp pig tail adapter but of cousre its not rated for 30 amps. The Open Road has an 11,000 BTU A/C unit in the bedroom independent from the thermostat. I know it will run that by itself so at least I could get a good night's sleep in the boonies. I do have one question, though. Do you worry about having gasoline in the basement or are you going to drain it after each use? I'm just looking at what other people might think as it kind of worries me. :confused:

A

AbNormal

Hi Jeff,

I might consider buying a genset one day, but have always been fighting myself over the pros and cons. I don't really need one, but on the very odd occasion, it would have been helpful. I currently have an inverter for short AC needs, but obviously is not intended to run an air conditioner, or extended stays.

Two questions:

1. Do you offload the generator for operation, or leave it in place? What about the exhaust? (Okay, that's two questions already, I guess!)

2. How quiet is the Yamaha?

Thanks for the photos!

J

Jeff

Yamaha Genny!

Hi Don & AB:

To answer Don's question first: I will ensure that most or all the gasoline is drained from the unit before transporting. I carry my spare gasoline in the pickup bed to avoid the fume situation building in the basement. I wouldn't think about having a full tank of Gasoline jossling down the road.

As for AB:

No, I won't be running it in the unit itself. In fact the owners manual recommends the unit be at least 25 feet away from the appliance being run. That is why I had to build the ramps for getting it in and out. It weighs 147 lbs dry. I can wheel it up the ramps fairly easily myself and then wrestle it into position to tie down.

I wasn't gonna buy a Genny at all, but since our trip to Louisiana is coming up in May, it gets pretty hot and muggy down there and we will be staying at my in-laws home in the country. My Father-in-law doesn't have the capability to allow me to run the A/C, so we decided to buy the Yamaha to help us have A/C on those Hot Muggy nights. It will definitely get it's work out this summer.

One other note. I do have the Washer/Dryer Combo on the opposite side of the coach, so the Genny on the other side helps to balance out the weight too.

AS for Quiet: The unit runs full load at about 54DBs. VERY QUIET! Placed in front of the coach, you can bearly hear it. I do run Fully Synthetic High RPM Oil in it too. Seems to help with the noise as well.

Hope this answers your questions. Pictures are coming from the Trip.

I'm including a new area here soon, for Jim and Me to post our 2005 Summer adventures.

You all take Care.

Jeff

C

Charles_c

I wasn't gonna buy a Genny at all, but since our trip to Louisiana is coming up in May, it gets pretty hot and muggy down there and we will be staying at my in-laws home in the country. My Father-in-law doesn't have the capability to allow me to run the A/C, so we decided to buy the Yamaha to help us have A/C on those Hot Muggy nights. It will definitely get it's work out this summer.

Jeff[/QUOTE]
Jeff, My wife is leaving Friday for Baton Rouge to spend Mothers Day with her mom.