Saw a rubber roof billowing on I-65 near Louisville, KY

kkamshop

I saw a white pickup pulling a bighorn through Louisvlle Ky today on I-65 and the rubber roof looked like the front half had air under it. So if that was you, you might want to check things out. Kenny

PeternLiane

Re: Rubber roof billowing

Hopefully they'll find out soon. I see a lot of trailers out here on I-76 with the rubber top coming off. I caught up to one and told him.

wdk450

Is this obvious when you are parked and go up and inspect the roof?
Also, what is the cause of this; improper manufacturing and/or materials, or just something to expect with age?

PeternLiane

You really can't see it from down below. You have to get on top to inspect the roof. The glue starts wearing out. I've been told that its improper maitenance and age. On our SOB I started seeing bubbles in the rubber and kept an eye on them. We sold it before we had to do a repair though. I've heard that its a nightmare to put on a new rubber roof.

FordMan1966

Wonder how the new TPO (I think that is what they are) on the new Landmarks are attached? You might not have this problem with this type roof system.

truknutt

Committed Member
We had it happen on our last rig back in 2005. We found out about it over the CB on only our second trip out; unfortunately it was while returning from Sturgis. Our first trip was down to Tampa so the Lord only knows how long it had been billowing.

The material was apparently cut short at the factory along the leading edge so the trim & the leading edge of aluminum wasn't overlapping & holding it down. The techs showed me a gap no wider than 2 fingers that allowed air to get under the rubber. This kept pulling at what little amount of glue the factory had laid down. The guy on the radio said it looked like the Goodyear Blimp going down the road!

National RV paid to have it repaired. They had to pull back about 15 feet of the roof and glue it properly. The billowing stretched it pretty good so they were able to pull it down over the front edge and then bring the aluminum front cap up and over the rubber. We traded it in for the Cyclone shortly thereafter.

I just bought a 2013 Bighorn 3855FL and it has the roof issue. I have been told it is an assembly issue. Waiting on the factory to come and pick it up. They are not very responsive!!! I offered to bring it to them for the cost of fuel!!!! Oh well make payments and no camper. If anyone has a new one need to check it out. I noticed mine when starting to install Sat dish. It appears to be cut short around the A/C "holes"

jimtoo

I just bought a 2013 Bighorn 3855FL and it has the roof issue. I have been told it is an assembly issue. Waiting on the factory to come and pick it up. They are not very responsive!!! I offered to bring it to them for the cost of fuel!!!! Oh well make payments and no camper. If anyone has a new one need to check it out. I noticed mine when starting to install Sat dish. It appears to be cut short around the A/C "holes"

Hi AlabamaBighorn,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Sorry to hear your having a roof problem with a new unit. Could you post some pictures? I have never heard of roof being cut short around the A/C holes. And how did you find this, water leak or ?

Jim M

Jim,
It was found when getting ready to install Sat Dish. Will post pics tomorrow. First indication was a bubble approx 2ftX4ft. No water leak as of yet.

Richard

creeper

You really can't see it from down below. You have to get on top to inspect the roof. The glue starts wearing out. I've been told that its improper maitenance and age. On our SOB I started seeing bubbles in the rubber and kept an eye on them. We sold it before we had to do a repair though. I've heard that its a nightmare to put on a new rubber roof.

Not always clear when you are up there as the rubber will shrink right back. Maybe a wrinkle or two. It's not the glue that starts to wear out, it's the lack of glue heartland uses both in coverage and quantity . In my case there was glue applied to the front, the sides and around the openings. Absolutely NO glue in the middle area. This pulls the rubber up from the wind passing over, like and airplane wing. If your roof billows it's nothing more then poor installation.