Hitch height question

drywaller

I just purchased a newer 5th wheel,as the hitch was to low for the trailer to pull level i raised the truck plate now the trailer kinda lunges when pulling.should i lower the plate or what

mmomega

AnyTimer
Let me start by saying, welcome to the Heartland owners group and to the Heartland family.

With that said, the first suggestion I can think of is to check if you are able to lower your pin box rather than raise your hitch, this can raise the front of your trailer and keep your hitch as you had it before.

Also, I'm not sure which trailer or truck you have but is the problem from the weight pushing the rear of the truck down an inch or two or does the truck just sit naturally lower, like some 2WD trucks?
Most 4WD's sit 2"(250/2500) to 4"(350/3500) higher from the factory than 2WD trucks.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The way I read it, the hitch was low, so the trailer was riding nose down, which would force it forward into the hitch. Like that, it wouldn't chuck back and forth (as much), so it "seems" OK. Setting the hitch higher and getting the rig level now allows it to move slightly in the jaws and now it's chucking on stops and take-offs.

Riding nose low or nose high affects aerodynamics, as well as load distribution on the trailer tires, so you want to be level. To eliminate the chucking will require changing the pin box to one that dampens it (5th Airborne, MorRyde, etc.) or getting a hitch that has dampening built into it. New pin box would be less expensive, I think.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You can go one of two ways to level your trailer. Raise the hitch like you did or as mmomega said, lower the pin box. Either way it is best to have the trailer riding level.The lunging that you speak of if I read your post correctly is commonly known as chucking. Some say that the addition of air bags helped that. I don't know if it does or not. But there are pin boxes that definitely will correct that problem. More-Ryde makes one as well as Trail-Air. I have the Trail-Air with Tri-Glide and have no chucking.PeaceDave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We have the Mor/Ryde pinbox and NO chucking. You need to have the TV and 5er level. If the TV sets low in the rear when hooked up, you will need airbags on the TV.

aatauses

I agree with the fact that your trailer needs to ride level, if it doesn't you may start to have tire and suspension problems. Do what you need to do either with the hitch or pin, just be level. We have the mor ride pin and have no chucking,
al