Landing Gear

Dylan

Greetings....excited to set up our 3670RL for the first time (other than at home). First time 5th wheelers. My question is regarding the leveling of the landing gear, in the front. When we first brought it home, I managed to lower it too much, and damaged a pin which has since been fixed. I'm hoping the site we set up on is level enough where I don't have the same issue. Back to my question.......on a level enough site, do most folks simply put down maybe one board for the feet to be on?....just a couple inches thick?...allowing enough room to lower the front of the FW?

gasman

Camp Socializer
You will likely want to put something down under your legs for stability in case of soft ground. Before you unhook, check to see if the front end is too high. If so don't drop your leg extensions all the way to the ground. Give yourself plenty of room to lower the front of the trailer after you unhook. You could easily leave those extensions up three or four inches and let that electric motor go to work extending the legs.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dylan, One of the first things to do is mark the upper part of the landing gear legs with paint or tape so you will know when they are fully retracted. This is to prevent popping fuses or damage to the gear reduction unit.
When we first arrive on site and get level side to side with boards under the tires on the low side as needed, I then lower the legs electrically about 3 or 4 inches. Then I release the pins to drop the inner legs. Make sure both legs are touching or close to touching then insure the locking pins are fully engaged.
Raise (extend) the legs enough to pull out the truck then lower (retract) the legs until coach is level.
I had a little device called a leg leveler CLICK HERE that really helps and prevents frame twisting.
I also use a large 12" square 3" thick board under the front legs to prevent them from sinking into soft ground or gravel. On concrete, it really doesn't matter.

rick_debbie_gallant

I am in the planning stage for a micro or limiting switch. I dont know why this has not been thought of before. My idea is when the inner leg reaches within one inch of the outer leg stop the switch will break the electric connection there by stopping the inner leg from retracting too far and busting things up.

wdk450

I am in the planning stage for a micro or limiting switch. I dont know why this has not been thought of before. My idea is when the inner leg reaches within one inch of the outer leg stop the switch will break the electric connection there by stopping the inner leg from retracting too far and busting things up.

The limiting switch will have to be able to handle the full landing gear leg current. Lippert fuses some of these at 80 amps. I don't know of any microswitches with that sort of a current rating, so you will have to use a microswitch driving a high-current relay.