Trailer Bounces a little

Dylan

Greetings....set up last weekend for the first time. First time fifth wheelers. 2009 3670RL, loving it. When someone is walking around inside, there's a little bounce to the trailer. Has anyone sured up their rig any particular way? Currently I have one set of wheels chocked. Nothing else in the way of support/braces.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
With the standard electric front jacks and rear stabilizers on a 2009 BH3670, you will get some bounce. One technique for setting up is to find level for the trailer front to back with the front jacks, then lower the front about 3/4". Then drop the rear stabilizers snug and raise the front back to level. Placing screw or scissor jacks just in front of the tires under the frame also helps.

Consider adding Ultra-Fab stabilizers, or JT StrongArms, or a similar bracing system to further reduce the movement. So long as the center of the rig still has most of its weight on the tires/suspension, there will be movement. Replacing the original front electric jacks with something like the 4-jack Reico-Titan Ground Control system will also give you more stability. I prefer the Ground Control because it's electric, each jack is independent, and you can install it yourself.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
John has mentioned some good pointers. Besides Ground Control there is the Bigfoot System and the Level-up. All are a bit costly.
I would chock both sets of tires not just one.
Another thing some have done is to add a scissors jack to the frame just ahead of the front tires. This will eliminate most of the bounce at the springs.

Peace
Dave

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
John has mentioned some good pointers. Besides Ground Control there is the Bigfoot System and the Level-up. All are a bit costly.
I would chock both sets of tires not just one.
Another thing some have done is to add a scissors jack to the frame just ahead of the front tires. This will eliminate most of the bounce at the springs.

Peace
Dave

I agree with Dave ,also check these out ,really helps in trailer movement........http://www.rotochok.com/

KiwiRVer

With the standard setup you get from a stock fifth wheel you will get significant movement. On our new unit we have the Level-Up system which is fairly stable although it does move a little. On our previous unit which was a a 35' SOB I installed BAL stabilisers at the front landing legs (same as the Strong-Arms) and used X-chocks between the wheels. I had two more stabilisers to connect to the rear jacks but never got around to installing them as there were not a lot of mounting points. With these and the rear electric jacks cranked up hard the trailer was pretty stable.

boatdoc

We have the 3670 also and what helped the most was the scissor jacks at midspan on each side. Junk yards have them for about $10.00 each, our's came out of Chevys. Don't be afraid to really tighten them up.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Another thought on the scissor jacks midspan... we used bottle jacks ( we have two, way overkill @12ton), just in front of the front wheels. Almost no movement in the rig now.

E

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
Which brand of jacks did you get? I have two 8 ton ones but they leak down over night. when reading the fine print they say do not use to support a trailer. thanks

tom

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have the same setup as John. Jt's Strongarms and scissor jacks in front of the wheels.
I hardly notice any movement anymore.
I disagree with a previous post. I snug my scissor jacks, but I would not tighten them to the point of lifting the frame. You could end up bending it.

BTW, my neighbor has a 4 point auto leveling system, with rear scissor jacks. That alone did very little for stopping movement according to him.
He still needed a Jt's type stabilizer system to stop the shake. Trace

JohnDar

You really don't need massive bottle jacks to do the trick. These simple 6K screw jacks were inexpensive, yet still do the job. I put two of my cribbing pads under them and crank them snug to the frame. I put a piece of 5/4 board between the head and frame rail so it can't slip.

View attachment 18575

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I can't recall the brand, but got them at WalMart. The reason for 12 ton was to have in "case of emergency." We don't ever want to find out what would need a 12 ton jack, but if we do, we have two. :). We do like John does, using our orange levelng pads, we get the jack close to the rig so not too much extension needed.

Erika

JohnDar

I've got a 12 ton and a 6 ton bottle jack in my truck box, in case of "emergency."

caissiel

I have installed 2 7500lbs scissor jacks behind the trailer wheels. They can lift the trailer on one side, but due to bearings on the. Jack screw the jacks will drop if they are cranked to thight. So I only use them for preventing spring movement. Shocks installed at the proper angle also have stabilized the center of the trailer, but the jacks have sealed the deal.

Birchwood

I think you could purchase every RV bounce reducer on the market and still get movement.As long as the tires are on the ground you will get some bounce.

PeternLiane

We used two 7500lbs scissor jacks on our SOB. That rig didn't move in the high winds and when we walked around. Since we only had our NT out one time since we bought it I'll have to see what happens with more use. I may just buy some more and install them by the tires.

smildrum

Does anyone have any experience with using a king-pin tripod to help with the side to side sway? Front to back we seem fine.
Thanks in advance- Susan

jnbhobe

Does anyone have any experience with using a king-pin tripod to help with the side to side sway? Front to back we seem fine.
Thanks in advance- Susan

Don't waste your money !! Get some JT stabilizers and good wheel chocks like Roto-chocks.

Pizzaguy

I would not spend the money for the kingpin tripod. We have tried that route. The Ultra-Fab Eliminators or JTs suggested in JohnDar's post #2 is a much better option. They do a much better job than a kingpin tripod. I will be removing a set that I will sell from our current unit as we have a new unit ordered with the Level-up system and will have no use for them.

tbhrose

Just installed the JT's on my 2009 Bighorn 3670RL tonight. Wow, what a difference. Tried the Kingpin jack first, that's useles IMHO. Save your time and money and purchase the JT's. DW and I tried to make the trailer move by walking side to side and front to rear. Couldn't do it. They are awesome. Best money spent (This year). Best last year was the independantly operated, 6k lb landing gear from Ultra Fab that were a little "Looser" than the original Lipperts. JT's took all the looseness completely out! Worth every penny.