First Fifth Wheel Big Country

Dfischer

My wife and I bought our first fifth wheel and we went with a Big Country 3450 TS. We had been camping in an All American Sport Toy Hauler travel trailer but we decided to go with a living room instead of a garage. Oh well the comfort of living is unbelievable and we are so blessed to have been able to find this trailer. We looked long and hard at many different brands before we bought this one! Now if I can just figure out what truck to buy to haul it with we'll be in business. I was told if I gave up the garage I could get a different truck. Of course the Harley will have to find a different garage, too. I guess I'll make this sacrifice. The new trailer is beautiful. The owner of the campground where we seasonal camp thanked me for improving the appearance of his property. I do what I can to help. So far has been a great experience

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dfischer, welcome to the forum and The Heartland Family.
Nice choice on the Big Country.
Be sure to look on the Portal Page for information on the WI rally as well as any other you might like to attend.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

Don't know what truck you have now, but all of the big three make a truck to pull your rig.

Dfischer

I currently have a Chev Avalanche that will not take a fifth wheel hitch. I have been considering either an F250 or an F350. I can't afford new so I will be going used. Doesn't seem to be much difference in price between the two until you compare extended cab with crew cab. I figure if the right deal comes along either one will pull it, although the F350 may last longer. I tend to run vehicles a long time- the Avalanche is 10 years old but very low miles. Some day I'll figure it out. Thanks.

caissiel

Per my signiture the F250 is at the limit pulling the BC. Our layout has the washer dryer in the hallway so less weight on the pin. But the BC pulls like a dream.

We travel with the wife driving the car behind me, sure great to enjoy the great living space in the BC and still pulling it with a $20K truck.
And the heavy axles and only 4 tires is a big plus.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your new Big Country. Hope you will enjoy it as much as we have ours. This is our 2nd Big Country, the first one was a 3250 which we had for 5 years before moving up to the 3650. We pulled the 3250 with a 2005 Dodge diesel 2500 which didn't have a problem but when we were thinking about getting a bigger coach, that is when we move up to an '09 Dodge 3500. We have friends who live in VA that also have the BC 3450 and they are pulling it with a Dodge 2500. You will get all kinds of opinions about tow vehicle but the best advise I can give you to have common sense when pulling.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Congratulations on the new rig! The 3450 is a very comfortable layout. AnaLyn and I really enjoy ours!

Best Wishes!

Welcome to the Big Country 3450TS.
I had a 2005 F250 Extended Cab Short Box FX4 Diesel SRW when I purchased my Big Country and upgraded to a 2011 F350 Crew Cab Long Box FX4 DRW Diesel, after a couple of long trips.
The DRW is a far more stable platform with which to haul the 3450TS.
I feel a lot more comfortable and less stressed towing my rig with the bigger truck.
I have never looked back or regretted my decision for the bigger truck.
I had the whole rig weighted at the Rally in Goshen, IN. last year and everything was well within legal towing requirements.
Check the towing capacities of the trucks you are looking to buy against the weight of your fully loaded rig.
Don't cut corners here, plan worse case.
There is a member on this forum who has set up a program for figuring your weights and what size truck you would need.
I would recommend the F350, 3500 DRW of whatever brand you prefer.

Welcome Aboard Heartland

FYI
We love our 3450TS also.

Hockster

======================================================================================================================================

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I currently have a Chev Avalanche that will not take a fifth wheel hitch. I have been considering either an F250 or an F350. I can't afford new so I will be going used. Doesn't seem to be much difference in price between the two until you compare extended cab with crew cab. I figure if the right deal comes along either one will pull it, although the F350 may last longer. I tend to run vehicles a long time- the Avalanche is 10 years old but very low miles. Some day I'll figure it out. Thanks.

I feel for ya! I also had a 2002 Chevy Avalanche that I had to part with when we bought the BH. Loved that truck.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
One of the first things I think you need to know is are you pulling the trailer occasionally or are you retired and might go fulltime.

If you are pulling occasionally you would probably do fine with a 3/4 ton short bed single rear wheel.

If you plan or might go fulltime you might be better with a 1 ton, full length bed, crew cab and possibably dual rear wheels. I like my single rear wheel because I feel I get better traction. I have known some who have DRW get stuck on slick surfaces, such as grass, sand, mud and such. I would include 4WD and would not be without it, but some would rather not. Of course you need a Diesel.

A 2010 or 2011 would most likely have enough HP and torque to handle the BC. My 2006 F250 does well for the BH in my signature.

BC

JIM-GERI

Welcome to the Heartland Family and most of all welcome to the Big Country Family, We have a 2011 3450TS and Love It !! See you Soon Jim "Cosmo" & Geri