Hydraulic slide operation

Bksvo

And the newby questions just keep on coming...

Is there any way to isolate which slides open or how much (2012 3800)? It looks to me like this system is routed in series, but I thought I'd ask. I can certainly think of times and places that I wouldn't have the room to open all 3 slides up all the way.

I'm very disappointed with the terrible owners manual and paperwork that I recieved. It is so generic--the Camping world book is better. Not what I expected with this big of a purchase.

Nathan

I don't believe there is a way to isolate each individual slide unless you put in more switches and do some significant re-wiring. The 3800 is an aboslutely top of the line beautiful rig and at most places if the CG can accomdate your rig you will be able to put out your slides. In fact, I can't think of a cg or a track that you wouldn't be able to open all your slides. Being the size of the cyclone you won't fit in some state parks and if you did they are usually wide open anyway. They only real place would be if you were boondocking it in the middle of the woods. Then just find a spot that will accomodate the size of your rig...Good luck with the new rig.

rick_debbie_gallant

You may have the same set up that we have. Where the hydraulic pump is for the slides there should also be a series of valves that are labeled in some fashion as to what they control. Currently they should be all the way open. by opening or closing these valves one can control which slides open and or close. When traveling we will often just open the bedroom slide for sleeping. check it out and let us know. also, have you checked out the "WIki" portion of the forum?

Nathan

You may have the same set up that we have. Where the hydraulic pump is for the slides there should also be a series of valves that are labeled in some fashion as to what they control. Currently they should be all the way open. by opening or closing these valves one can control which slides open and or close. When traveling we will often just open the bedroom slide for sleeping. check it out and let us know. also, have you checked out the "WIki" portion of the forum?

Learned something new today!

71stang99

I'm very disappointed with the terrible owners manual and paperwork that I recieved. It is so generic--the Camping world book is better. Not what I expected with this big of a purchase.

My thoughts on the lack of quality regarding the paperwork also. It was horrible for the most part when I picked up my 2011 300c. The manuals for the most part were garbage.

TwoGypsies

Hey Rick & Debbie, thanks for the tip on Wiki. After all this time I had never taken note of it. Also, I've not inspected my hydraulics for individual slide valves; will have to that later today.

porthole

Retired
Most Cyclones have the slide valves in the hydraulic compartment. There should also be a manual slide switch (electric) right next tot them. Figure out which way does what and "sharpie it"

Two tips;
The valves can be tight if the slides are extended all the way one way or the other. If you bump the switch the opposite direction it takes the pressure off the valve and they turn very easy then.

Look inside before you operate the slides outside.

Using the valves you can open only as far as you want if you just need some clearance.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Yes but if the guides were perfect we would not be able to help each other.

Even our friends manual with their high end motor home is very generic and practically useless. When you think about how many different models, combinations, and permutations are possible it boggles the mind to imagine the unique amount of writing and printing required to have a more detailed manual for each model. Heck, even the thick manuals with my F350 leave something to be desired, especially as to the Sync operation.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One thing to point out is that if you isolate one slide it will move not only with the outside switch but the one inside as well.

Peace
Dave

Bksvo

Most Cyclones have the slide valves in the hydraulic compartment. There should also be a manual slide switch (electric) right next tot them. Figure out which way does what and "sharpie it"

Two tips;
The valves can be tight if the slides are extended all the way one way or the other. If you bump the switch the opposite direction it takes the pressure off the valve and they turn very easy then.

Look inside before you operate the slides outside.

Using the valves you can open only as far as you want if you just need some clearance.

If found the manual slide switch. There are only 2 valves located above the pump housing. w/3 slides and hydraulic landing gear, I'm thinking one for the gear, one for all the slides...

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'll check out the wiki section.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The two valves should be for two slides. It sounds like you may have one electric slide. Most likely the bedroom.

Peace
Dave

Bksvo

I rechecked this morning, and what I originally thought were valves are actually just caps on T-fittings. There are no valves that I can tell to control the slides.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Take a photo of your hydraulic compartment and those T-fitting caps and post it. The valves on my system (see the photo put up by Rick) look like caps, but are actually the valve knobs. Tight to turn, but they do turn, and I can easily select which slide I want to open by itself, or open them all in sequence by having all four valves open.

But, as a caveat, I seem to recall some owners of older BC's or Sundances (I think) that did not have selector valves on their rigs. And some bedroom slides are electric while the rest are hydraulic.

wdk450

BKSVO:
You may have something different than most of have. I would advise you to have your VIN number copied down and call the Heartland Service phone number on the Portal page to talk to someone who can look up your rig on the computer and tell you exactly what you have (and maybe supply you with some documentation).

Bksvo

Here are some pics. It seems crazy the way it is mounted in the nose. The hydraulic fill port is nearly impossible to access with almost crawling inside. The backup switch and solenoids are all facing away from the access door.
0426122200.jpg0426122159a.jpg0426122159.jpg

porthole

Retired
Here are some pics. It seems crazy the way it is mounted in the nose. The hydraulic fill port is nearly impossible to access with almost crawling inside. The backup switch and solenoids are all facing away from the access door.

No valves there unless they are hidden somewhere else, maybe the front propane compartment? The tank fill is a little bit of a challenge, but unless you have a leak you will never have to add oil. And you need to check the level with all the slides and jacks retracted, trailer on a hitch. Once you get the correct level then use teh jacks and disconnect, then "sharpie" the jacks down level.

The valves on my system.............. Tight to turn, but they do turn......

Reverse the direction for a second, takes the pressure off the system, valves turn easy.

Here is what the valves look like in the cyclone. You can't easily see these with just a casual look.

Attachments

• Hydrualice_selector_valves.jpg
    Hydrualice_selector_valves.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 39