How often do you flush your black water tank?

CliffP

Should the black water tank be flushed every time it's dumped or does it depend on how often it's used? How often do you flush yours?

gasman

Camp Socializer
If we are dumping prior to storage, even if only for a week or two, we always rinse it well. If we are continuing on our way then we just dump it and give it a quick rinse.

Last edited:

donr827

I keep rinsing the black tank until I see clear water coming out every time I dump the black tank. Never had a problem with sensors.
Don

rick_debbie_gallant

we flush/rinse the black tank three times. With that I mean after the water is relatively clear I will leave it run while DW fills the bowl dumps it and repeats two more times. that usually breaks the rest of the sewer trout from the bottom and they continue their journey down the stinky slinky.:eek:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Most parks we stay at are on full hook up sites so we flush the tank every time. If we stay at a park without a sewer hook up it would only be a short stay so I'll leave the tank partially full till we get to a full hook up site and dump as soon as we arrive. This gives the trout time to break up during travel. Even when moving from park to park I try to leave a couple days worth of waste in the tank to slosh around during travel. We then dump and flush on arrival at a new park.

We've always used a clear sewer hose connector so we can see what's coming through.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I built a pex manifold with ball valves to hook everything to one source. So any time I open the black water dump I crack open the ball valve to the flush system. I don't think you can over flush one.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I back flush and use the tank flush system every time I dump. I also like to see clear water coming out before saying I'm done.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Same here. I flush every time I dump.
I start the flush hose and open the black tank valve. When the water starts slowing down, I close the valve for about 30 seconds, then open.
I close for about 60 seconds with flush running and then reopen.
Repeat one more time for 60-90 seconds and I'm done.
Sensors seem to work fine. Trace

CliffP

Thanks all for the responses! Do any of you use chemicals or is it enough to just use plenty of water when you flush the toilet and flush the black water tank when dumping it enough?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Cliff, some people use the holding tank chemicals.
Some use the GEO method which is a combination of Calgon and Dawn.
Some, like myself do not use anything.
No matter which way you go, just be sure to use plenty of water.

Peace
Dave

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Cliff, some people use the holding tank chemicals.
Some use the GEO method which is a combination of Calgon and Dawn.
Some, like myself do not use anything.
No matter which way you go, just be sure to use plenty of water.

Peace
Dave

Can you describe the GEO method more, or how much to use etc.

CliffP

Here ya go! I sort of modified this and just put a cup of the Calgon powder in after each dump/flush, dissolved in a couple of gallon of water. I add about 5 gallons to the tank via the back flush, as well,

Thanks Dave and John, we're gonna try the Geo Method.

PeternLiane

We flush every time. We use the flush king back fill. We rinse it until it's clear. We also use the blue chemicals.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Many RV Parks don't want you to put chemicals in your black tank due to causing a problem with their septic tanks.

When we started out in 2006 I talked to a lot of fulltime RVers on the Escapees forum and a lot of them said don't use any chemicals but do use plenty of water. So far we have not had any odor or any problems. In the very hot summer, like in Texas, when it get up in the 100's - 110's you may need to use a deoderant occasionally.

TWWD..
BC