Trail Air pin option

chardel

Is the placement of the actual attachment point of the trail air pin even with the front of the coach or is it a little in front of the coach sort of like an extended pin box?

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
It sticks out but not a whole bunches.:) Mine is in at the dealer for some minor stuff before warranty runs out so can't measure. It doesn't stick out like the extended pins being put on other trailers for use on short bed trucks. I have been quite pleased with mine, so far. Maybe someone that has theirs at home can put a tap on it.-----Ken

HappyKayakers

Chardel,
My pin box was installed by the dealer, not at the factory. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Attachments

• P7040002.jpg
    P7040002.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 134

chardel

trail air pinbox

Thanks for the picture. It looks like it is just about even with a line down from the leading edge of the unit. Do you have a regular 5th wheel hitch? Did you have the regular pin for awhile and if so has the trail air pin box made enough of a difference to warrant cost? Someone suggested a trail air pin box AND an air hitch to get the best ride but it seems like it might be redundant and expensive but I don't really know. Any thoughts?

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
This is our 1st 5th wheel and it was ordered with the TrailAir so can't say what the difference would have been. I would have to say after I bought a generator we were trying it out to see if it would run everything. We turned AC,TV,lights ,etc. on. The DW then put a glass of water in the Microwave and turned it on ,also. Needless to say on our next trip after setting up for the night we was going to use the Microwave and there was that glass of water, just like it was when put it in there. We just couldn't believe it held the water and didn't move.
I believe if I was going to go with a Air Hitch, I would mate it with the MorRyde Pin Box. I really have few problems with the chucking, only on certain rough roads with really close expansion joints. Good luck, decisions, decisions.:) ---Ken

Pulltab

chardel said:
Someone suggested a trail air pin box AND an air hitch to get the best ride but it seems like it might be redundant and expensive but I don't really know. Any thoughts?

I would not air ride the hitch and pin box. Do more research and I think you will find it is not recommended and actually causes some issues with towing. Air riding one is more than sufficient. The pin box is cheaper by far (usually 1/3 the hitch cost). If you ever sell the trailer you can buy the upper body of the Trail Air box for $250. I know cause I just did this. The pin box makes a world of difference and will really save the frame from some shattering jolts. I don't think you would be disappointed. I have been using mine for 2 years.

timk

Sometimes when I know I'm about to hit something rough, I'll look in the mirror just to see what the Trailair is doing. It does soak up some big jolts. But I do think that the MorRide might be better at the chucking aspect, after pulling our kids 5ver. Like Ken, one time I left a cup of coffee in the microwave without spilling, pretty amazing.

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Take a look at the 5th Airborne pin box. It seems to do both. I spoke with William Parent at Rally who has one. He said he loves it. Karen said he did a lot of research before he decided on a 5th airborne. When I change the pin box I am 99% it will be the 5th Airborne.
Regards
Wayne